Honda ridgeline

37 replies to this topic
  • rebelyell

Posted March 02, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Any one have one or use one for there moto needs? Friend just bought one and its sharp lookin. I cant get over the size of the bed a freaking 50 doesnt look like it could fit in there w out the gate down.

• 79yamdt

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Well the bed isn't any shorter then what is commonly available on other midsized crew cab trucks. I think Toyota you have an option of a 6' bed but that's a pretty rare chosen option. It's just a 5' bed which many crew cab midsized trucks come with. My biggest worry is the transmission if it's not properly maintained. If the fluid isn't changed as it should be your putting the transmission which is already somewhat prone to problems at greater risks of developing problems. I'm not saying the transmissions are garbage and I think honda has improved the transmission over the years. It's the same basic engine and trans that is used with the Pilot and Odyssey also. What other pickup comes with a trunk in the bed? No need for a toolbox when you have that.

Posted Image

• pdiddy

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:40 PM

2 bikes in a 5ft bed is not a problem with the tailgate down. I have thousands of miles with bikes in my 5-ft Frontier bed without issue. I know a Frontier is a different truck, but if 2 bikes fit in a Frontier, they should fit in Ridgeline without issue.

Posted Image

• benny_mech

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:52 PM

My dad has one, and my mountain bike won't lay flat in the bed. Other than that it's a great truck, and is a top pick on Consumer Reports.

• OldMechanik

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yup, I have a Frontier Crew Cab/shortbed also...a medium kids kwad and a KTM along with all the riding crapola fits just fine. Honda makes a good product in my opinion.

• sangheraent

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I have a pilot, not a ridgeline but the drive train is the same. I absolutely love it. we have had it since 2003 and put over 100k miles on it and it runs like new still. very good driving vehicle and really good power.

• rebelyell

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:03 PM

RIght now Im just doing homework on my next truck.I have a 12 year old dakota v6 and while it serves me well its not gonna last forever unfortunately.I know honda,nissan toyota make a quality product that hold there values . If everyone said nah the trucks sucks,it dont hold nothing go buy a car instead then Id write the honda off.My friend who is leasing one right now has a friend who is a manager in one of the dealerships by us.I can get a better deal on it then most people probably. Is it part time or full time 4wd/wd by the way?

• ickfinger

Posted March 03, 2013 - 05:53 AM

My dad has a 2006 ridge, 150k miles trouble free (but my dad is a stickler on maint.) Its been used several times for hauling bikes with the gate down. His neighbor liked it enough to buy one, his first new car in over 10yrs! I also used my dads truck for materials, brick, sand, cement, mulch etc., and it handles a heavy load really well. Everyone I know who has a ridge loves it, and those who have sold theirs regret it.

• Mikel.Laundry

Posted March 03, 2013 - 06:14 AM

i only drove one once. and i loved it they are sweet. they have the jumpiness and easy quick stearing like a foreign small inline 4, but its a full size truck pretty much. very comfortable to.

• 12bruckd

Posted March 03, 2013 - 09:45 AM

real trucks have solid axles in the back, in the front too for that matter, although I have IFS... little biased but i wouldn't get a rigeline. the box is not the issue, but it cant tow or haul as much as a regular full size truck. IMO

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chickenhauler

Posted March 03, 2013 - 04:20 PM

That engine (J35 platform) is used widely, with very little issues.

It goes in the Honda Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline, Inspire, Accord, Acura MDX, RL, TL, TSX and RLX.

Saturn used it in the Vue from 04+ (they call it the L66) and it's used in the Honda outboard 200 and 225hp engines.

• 79yamdt

Posted March 03, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Is it part time or full time 4wd/wd by the way?

It's full time awd but it mostly uses the front wheels unless it senses a need for power to the rear. It can instantly transfer power where it's needed. We have an 07 pilot which is very very similar. It has a vtm4-loc setting for sticky situations where you need extra traction. It splits power evenly between the front and rear axles and also locks the rear diff. It's a great awd system and as long as your not trying to throw 35" super swampers on it to go to the mudpit. Just understand it's more of an crossover suv then a "real truck" but this is all most people need. It can still haul 5500lbs but if your near the limit with the tongue weight I'd be getting air bags for the back end. Honda quality is great.

And a fun fact I saw on wikipedia is that the ridgeline won whatever the stock class is for this size of truck in the Baja 1000.

Also most pickups don't come with a locking rear diff standard. It's usually only available with some expensive offroad package or something.

Edited by 79yamdt, March 03, 2013 - 05:58 PM.

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 03, 2013 - 06:02 PM

It's full time awd but it mostly uses the front wheels unless it senses a need for power to the rear. It can instantly transfer power where it's needed. We have an 07 pilot which is very very similar. It has a vtm4-loc setting for sticky situations where you need extra traction. It splits power evenly between the front and rear axles and also locks the rear diff. It's a great awd system and as long as your not trying to throw 35" super swampers on it to go to the mudpit. Just understand it's more of an crossover suv then a "real truck" but this is all most people need. It can still haul 5500lbs but if your near the limit with the tongue weight I'd be getting air bags for the back end. Honda quality is great.

And a fun fact I saw on wikipedia is that the ridgeline won whatever the stock class is for this size of truck in the Baja 1000.

Also most pickups don't come with a locking rear diff standard. It's usually only available with some expensive offroad package or something.

I've been eyeballing them as a replacement for our Vue when the time comes. Same powertrain, same seating capacity, and toss a cover on the bed and more cargo space.

• 79yamdt

Posted March 03, 2013 - 06:15 PM

I've been eyeballing them as a replacement for our Vue when the time comes. Same powertrain, same seating capacity, and toss a cover on the bed and more cargo space.

Yeah the only thing that kept us from getting a ridgeline was the seating capacity. It's nice to be able to haul 8 people around from time to time. I wouldn't want to ride in the 3rd row seats for a long car ride but anything less then and hour and their quite tolerable for my 5'10" self. I wonder how much mpg is hurt by the aero of a pickup? We can get 24mpg with the pilot with the cruise set around 65. Very impressive for something that big and with awd. The ridgelines are pretty nice back seat wise. The ridgeline isn't for everyone but those that do buy it are generally very happy with them.

And I lied about towing. It's only good for 5000lbs but that's plenty for any pop up or most mid sized enclosed trailers.

Edited by 79yamdt, March 03, 2013 - 06:27 PM.

• rebelyell

Posted March 04, 2013 - 01:30 PM

I like my dakota because it handles like a slot car,is easy to park doesnt handle like a tractor trailer.If I want to go big and spend my lifesavings on a big truck Id go out and buy an International CXT

• adam728

Posted March 04, 2013 - 05:13 PM

real trucks have solid axles in the back, in the front too for that matter, although I have IFS... little biased but i wouldn't get a rigeline. the box is not the issue, but it cant tow or haul as much as a regular full size truck. IMO

Someone's always got to jump in.

Ok, what do you drive? And what do you regularly haul with it?

For many people the Ridgeline is plenty of "truck". I've definitely considered one for my next vehicle, as it could fit the family and haul the bike.

• 79yamdt

Posted March 04, 2013 - 05:50 PM

For many people the Ridgeline is plenty of "truck". I've definitely considered one for my next vehicle, as it could fit the family and haul the bike.

You know someone had to. So I guess 3/4 and 1ton chevy's aren't a real truck. They've been putting IFS in 2wd and 4wd models for quite a few years. At least back to the early 90's I believe.

• rebelyell

Posted March 04, 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have a 2wd Dakota w a v6 in it 5speed manual.I haul my quads,dirtbikes,jet skis and landscaping mowers.supplies.I need to get coil over shocks because when I have the quad in the back holy spit it looks like the wheels are ready to be in the fenders,the thing is plowing going down the road w the front end up in the air,thats gotta be killing my fuel mileage big time and dodges arent known for good fuel economy to begin with.

• 12bruckd

Posted March 04, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Silverado 1500 and I admit I don't regularly haul big loads with it. I agree the Ridgeline would probably be good enough for most people, maybe i'm just used to how trucks are and don't want to change. Also am a big fan of GM so foreign trucks are out of the question for me anyways.

• prplhzei.t200

Posted March 04, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Everything Honda makes is quality. If the ridge fits your needs, then go for it. You most likely wont be dissapointed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.