DIrtbike roof rack

31 replies to this topic
  • vcorriveau

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

hi, i am planning on going on a dirtbike trip with my father this summer to go to colorado, california, florida, nevada etc. For this trip we have a fith wheel and a pick up and we want to build a roof rack on the truck to put the 2 dirtbikes on. i would like to know if anyone had ever heard or try something like that or have any idea on for this project.

• Bolon Yokte K uh

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

You'll be paying for a lot of light fixtures at gas stations.

• KcDavis

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I'd figure out a way to get them in your trailer.

• woods-rider

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

How about putting a hitch on the 5th wheel and using a dual bike carrier to hold the bikes behind the 5th wheel?

Like this, but off the back of the 5th wheel instead.

Posted Image

Edited by woods-rider, 02 March 2013 - 09:12 AM.

• DaveCR

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

You'll be paying for a lot of light fixtures at gas stations.

+1 to that.

+1 to the dual hitch hauler as well - plus it could be used on the truck when you aren't hauling the trailer.

• Lumberjack450

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

If you go with a double rack... get a Joe Hauler. They have a system that makes the platform super stable and doesnt wobble at all. They're awesome

• adam728

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Putting two bikes on the back of the hauler may take too much tongue weight away. You might want to put a front receiver on the truck and put 1 bike on the front of the truck (cooling could be a problem, but it's been done), and the other bike on the back of the trailer.

I too can't see putting bikes on a roof rack, just seems excessively difficult to load/unload. Depending what you are driving it's likely at least 76" tall at the roof. As for overall height - A strapped down bike is about 48" tall. You'd likely have a few inches between the tuck roof and rack, lets say 3". So that's 127", or 10'7". I think most 5th wheel campers are the better part of 12 ft, so the bikes wouldn't be the limiting factor (assuming you aren't rocking a lifted 1 ton on 49's or something).

• vcorriveau

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Putting two bikes on the back of the hauler may take too much tongue weight away. You might want to put a front receiver on the truck and put 1 bike on the front of the truck (cooling could be a problem, but it's been done), and the other bike on the back of the trailer.

I too can't see putting bikes on a roof rack, just seems excessively difficult to load/unload. Depending what you are driving it's likely at least 76" tall at the roof. As for overall height - A strapped down bike is about 48" tall. You'd likely have a few inches between the tuck roof and rack, lets say 3". So that's 127", or 10'7". I think most 5th wheel campers are the better part of 12 ft, so the bikes wouldn't be the limiting factor (assuming you aren't rocking a lifted 1 ton on 49's or something).

yeah the truck is a f-150 with the HD package so the height, as you said, isnt a problem. the loading may be the problem

• adam728

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Don't know what size 5th wheel you'll be towing, but you may be quickly reaching the capacities of the truck adding bikes and a rack.

• Chickenhauler

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Doing a roof rack that ties into the frame and not the body would work, but ;using the cab to support it may not be a good approach.

• Fade

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'd love to see it.

• sonobob

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have to agree with everyone that suggested against the roof rack. If nothing else, you would have to unhook the trailer every time you needed to ramp the bikes up or down into the bed of the truck. I would first try the hitch mount bike carrier at the back of the trailer. It seems that 450-500 additional lbs at the rear of the trailer wouldn't adversely affect the trailer's tongue weight. If it did, load all the gear at the front of the trailer and that should remedy that problem.
My 4" lifted Silverado on 35s has to have 7 ft. of overhead clearance. Adding bikes on an over the cab rack would have it pushing 12 ft of required clearance. I don't think I would want to take that risk-especially with my bikes. Think about drive through ATMs, fast food restaurants, etc. They typically only have 8-9 ft of vertical clearance.

• tim geis

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Put a rack on the back of the camper. I have hauled 4x4 quads on the back all over the country. Just load your camper with your gear in the front.

• adam728

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

To the guys worried about drive-thru clearance : How often do you tow a 5th wheel thru a drive-thru?

I'd be more worried about stability after adding 500 lbs above the cab.

• sonobob

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

To the guys worried about drive-thru clearance : How often do you tow a 5th wheel thru a drive-thru?

This is a very valid and more realistic concern that I am in agreement with.

• vcorriveau

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

Put a rack on the back of the camper. I have hauled 4x4 quads on the back all over the country. Just load your camper with your gear in the front.

What kind of rack did you had?

• SmokerRider99

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

ok that would be cool but think about how you are going to get them up there it isn't a mountain bike..

• 79yamdt

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

yeah the truck is a f-150 with the HD package so the height, as you said, isnt a problem. the loading may be the problem

Aren't you already pushing the limits of that truck with a 5th wheel? I understand their are some 5th wheel trailers out there that are light enough for a half ton but their right at the limits of them. I would not be putting anymore weight on the truck. And putting a double bike hauler in the back seems like a bad idea. That's a lot of tail weight and I'm not sure if your camper frame is built for that kind of weight.

• Chickenhauler

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

How often? Only once, unless you're a really slow learner....

• Wlfman

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

HOLD MY BEER, watch this......

Dude. You asking for a disaster.

To all those saying use a hitch hauler on the back of the trailer. If you read the warnings/instructions that come with these type haulers they all say NOT to use them on the back of trailers due to too much bouncing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.