What engine size is right for my needs?

21 replies to this topic
  • ClockWork1236

Posted March 01, 2013 - 05:22 PM

This would be my first street legal motorcycle, but I do have some off road experience and plan to keep working. But, for my on road riding, it would be a 60 mile drive both ways. Being my first road bike, I wanted to choose a 250cc bike.The problem with that is I don't know if it would be enough for highway speeds. The only thing bigger than that class, that is modern, are the 600cc bikes. I think that those bikes are too much for me at this stage. Also, I do prefer Yamaha's.

If you have any ideas or opinions, please share them with me. It would be greatly appreciated!

• Mikel.Laundry

Posted March 01, 2013 - 05:51 PM

i wouldnt look at a 250, if you have some offroad experience then you will be bored in a short amount of time..... i would look at like a suzuki gs 500. its an air cooled inline twin. a pretty good sized bike and its not to bad on insurance with it being under 600cc's. a reliable bike and it comes without fearings or with the full fearings. so a sport touring and a sport bike look.
or you could look at the 500 ninja its got a little more power.

• vagrantidol

Posted March 01, 2013 - 06:08 PM

If you are going to be commuting and like comfort, I would steer away from sport bikes. Depending on the type of person you are, any size is fine really if you know how to ride and handle a motorcycle already. I rode the drz on the street for about 2 years beforehand, but my first street only bike was a cbr954 and I just had to be careful at first and not hammer down the throttle. After getting used to the power I was able to ride it a lot harder and am happy I went with a bigger motor because I was never saying to myself "I wish my bike was faster". I sold it because I was tired of how uncomfortable it was. Riding over 100 miles slouched forward kills your back and rear. If I were to suggest something it would be the honda nc700x or the cb500f. Both bikes are priced low and they have a lot to offer for practicality. I haven't had any seat time on one yet, but they look to be like a solid platform for an all purpose everyday motorcycle.

• funke5372

Posted March 01, 2013 - 06:16 PM

sv650 very solid bike

• sdmotorider

Posted March 01, 2013 - 07:04 PM

I started on a little Ninja 250 with a similar commute, and had no problems on the freeway. But i was pretty light, 150ish lbs. I personally like the appreach of starting on smaller bikes. With that being said, a GS500 would be a good bike, and SV650's are very nice as well. They have a good torque curve so they are easy to ride but get up and go when you need them to, plus V-twins sound mich better than inline 4's, IMO. I would look into those 2 bikes if you haven't already.

Also, depending on your price range, if you aren't set on a sport bike, look into Suzuki DL650 V-Strom's, FZ6 Yamaha's, or Kawasaki Versys 650's. They are more comfortable and "commute friendly" that sportbikes, but still plenty of fun in the curves.

Edited by sdmotorider, March 01, 2013 - 07:07 PM.

• GodHunter

Posted March 01, 2013 - 10:18 PM

As stated Sv650 is a great bike all around. Not sure what your price range is but honda now has a cbr500

• NoFearManCR

Posted March 02, 2013 - 02:17 AM

It sounds to me as though you are limiting yourself to sport bikes, right? If so, please do not even consider a 250. It will be your biggest regret and for sale in 3 months or less. Especially considering that you already know "how to" ride a motorcycle as you mentioned off-road. To answer your question about engine size for your needs, a 600cc Yamaha R6 is your machine my man. Although, considering the 60 mile one way trips, I would agree with a previous poster to go for say a SV650, GS500, Ninja 650 bikes of this sort as they are more sport tourer and easier on the ol back.

600cc is the perfect bike IMO. I personally own the 750 just because I am experienced and found the 600 to be too slow to my liking. I like and would love to own a big liter bike, but frankly there's no room to utilize that power here in SWPA. Now, if I lived in Arizona it'd be game on!!!!

• zig06

Posted March 03, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Need tp know what your budget is and of your 60 mile ride, how much of that is spent on the freeway?

And are you looking at a new bike, a 5 year old bike or something older and even cheaper then that?

• Kev_XR

Posted March 03, 2013 - 01:10 PM

It depends on how much street vs freeway riding. 60 miles of freeway on a 250 will have dying of boredom or scared from cars passing you. I would stay away from sports bikes. Upright standard bikes are easier on your body and you can look around easier.

You are probably going to drop your first bike. One reason I like dual sport bikes like DRZ400s, XR650l, or KLX650. Oops, I dropped it. Oops, I slid out. Minor damage. Sports bike, big bucks when you drop them. And to insure. Look around for a few months and you'll find a used dual sport that looks like new with low miles.

The naked SV650 or 650 Vstrom are the only street bikes I would like now. Great motor and handling.

Of the 250s the Klx with a 350 kit is said to be great. The wr250 is probably the best. The crf250l is a 300 lb pig, but the price is LOW!

Edited by Kev_XR, March 03, 2013 - 01:11 PM.

• funke5372

Posted March 03, 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have the naked sv650 an awesome bikke it has power but not crazy power like the 600's. Only time i wish for a fairing is to duck behind it when its cold and you start speeding ahaha besides that i love it!

• leafsrule16

Posted March 04, 2013 - 01:36 PM

250's are for &%$#@!. I really like the R6 for a sport bike they're fairly comfortable but in reality no sport bike is going to be as comfortable as one where you're sitting upright.

• 6 Riders

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:43 AM

ZG 1000! Sport Touring, cheapish, not to "powerful" Yeah it's a liter bike but it's a pretty tame liter. Fairing is big enough to keep you out of the wind and rain but not HUGE like a GW. The bike weighs a bit (700#) but a few "close to home" trips to get comfy and you'll be enjoying the heck out of it.

• triple stitch

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Came from dirt to street and bought my SV650n last May... Awesome fun! Unfortunately it doesn't go 200 mph though :goofy:

Edited by triple stitch, March 06, 2013 - 07:58 PM.

• JMwr400

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:23 PM

One more vote for the SV650.

• john07bohan86

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:31 PM

It depends on how much street vs freeway riding. 60 miles of freeway on a 250 will have dying of boredom or scared from cars passing you. I would stay away from sports bikes. Upright standard bikes are easier on your body and you can look around easier.

You are probably going to drop your first bike. One reason I like dual sport bikes like DRZ400s, XR650l, or KLX650. Oops, I dropped it. Oops, I slid out. Minor damage. Sports bike, big bucks when you drop them. And to insure. Look around for a few months and you'll find a used dual sport that looks like new with low miles.

The naked SV650 or 650 Vstrom are the only street bikes I would like now. Great motor and handling.

Of the 250s the Klx with a 350 kit is said to be great. The wr250 is probably the best. The crf250l is a 300 lb pig, but the price is LOW!

Yes, SV650 that is! :thumbsup:

- John Bohan
http://osep.northwes...taff/john-bohan

• ickfinger

Posted March 08, 2013 - 01:31 PM

The mid nineties yamaha seca 600 was a good little machine, pretty light, comfortable,cheap too. A 250 is not for hiway use, anything under 500cc's will have you looking for more power/acceleration within a week.

Edited by ickfinger, March 08, 2013 - 01:49 PM.

• husabuzzard

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:14 PM

I agree with the votes for 500-650cc. Some of the 650 twins from Kawasaki, Suzuki, and whoever else is making them, are great all around bikes. They don't have the killer track focus of the 600 crotch rockets.

• cognugget

Posted March 09, 2013 - 05:41 PM

SV6 is another option. They go forever.

• DDACT

Posted March 10, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Have you totally ruled out a cruiser? They're pretty comfy on long rides and fun as long as you're not in a huge hurry. Nevermind...just saw you're 18. SV650 would be my vote.

Whatever you get you're going to drop and sports bikes average about $100 damage for every foot you slide.

I'd take an MSF course if you can. Also, at 18 years old, be sure to be sitting down when you ask your insurance guy about insurance on a crotch rocket :smirk:

Remember that the front brake is your friend on the asphalt!

• funke5372

Posted March 10, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Have you totally ruled out a cruiser? They're pretty comfy on long rides and fun as long as you're not in a huge hurry. Nevermind...just saw you're 18. SV650 would be my vote.

Whatever you get you're going to drop and sports bikes average about $100 damage for every foot you slide.

I'd take an MSF course if you can. Also, at 18 years old, be sure to be sitting down when you ask your insurance guy about insurance on a crotch rocket :smirk:

Remember that the front brake is your friend on the asphalt!

Nah hes good im 19 and am paying 232 for basic coverage( theft, vandelism, etc) on my 99 sv650, through nationwide all that i can see that would be different from me would be location :prof: .

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.