4th gear skipping 2001 yz426f

3 replies to this topic
  • dan_Rekito

Posted November 09, 2001 - 04:56 PM

Has anyone else had the dog teeth fail on 4th gear? Dealer just fixed it, $560 dollars split cases etc. They tell me the cause was shifting without the clutch. I dont buy that theory, I think the gear was soft.I am an experienced rider with over 17 years of experience. My clutch use,almost always , except shifting when riding wheelies. 1996XR650L 2001YZ426F

• motoman393

Posted November 09, 2001 - 05:21 PM

After being a member on TTalk for over a year...I have seen numerous posts about 4th gear problems (especially on 00' models) Do a search and I'm sure you will find the info you are looking for! Later,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Itsamre

Posted November 09, 2001 - 10:38 PM

00 426 lost one tooth off 4th gear. Pulled it out and split it, $140.00 for both forth gear wheels, rings and gaskets, and all was well. I noticed the "funny" noise during a dez ride going thru the bushes with no trail for about 2 hours and pulling branches that were jamming the shifter out 3 or 4 times that day. I don't remember any messed up shifts but "who knows". Guess it's a good thing that I'm a mechanic and can do the work and save $$$

• Boit

Posted November 11, 2001 - 11:59 PM

Yes, there seems to be an obvious problem with 4th gears of this machine. Seems like I read an article about the supplier not performing the proper hardening process on a batch of these gears?¿

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.