Handle Bars.

7 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted November 26, 2003 - 10:40 AM

What's the recommended handle bar upgrade for the XR650? I just sold my 600 that had some Renthals on it. These bars didn't require any risers etc. and were perfectly adequate for me. They were clearly better then the stock so I thought about upgrading my new bike.
I'm about 6'1' and do moderate trail riding and desert riding. Nothing fast or fancy.
Any recommendation?

• Carlisle1972

Posted November 26, 2003 - 11:44 AM

Im 5'10" 170 lbs and the pig felt cramped to me so I bought moose risers and renthal fat bars with the 04 ktm bend super if you spend a lot of time standing up!

• XR650_DIrtman

Posted November 28, 2003 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like a solution for me too !

I am 6.5 / 250 and dislike the low handlebar position standing up.

Is this the solution you have on your XR:

Moose Partno: M918-005, price roughly $ 44.95

and the Renthal part no: 608-01 (KTM MX/Enduro 2004) ?

Is it correct hat you did not need to change the original cables, except maybe for routing ?

Thanks for your info :)

• Big_D

Posted November 28, 2003 - 03:32 PM

I am 6'4 and ride mostly standing up, the Renthal Button Bend work great for me.

They fit in the stock clamps, and have a nice tall rise. At first I had them rolled too far foward and on long rides my wrists would start to ache. After I rolled them back to where the rise is vertical (with the bike on its wheels) they felt like my hands were a bit back from where I wanted them, but I quickly got used to it and my wrists have never hurt from riding agian (just falling). For a stock bar replacement, if you are tall, I give the Renthal Button bend a :).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650_DIrtman

Posted November 28, 2003 - 06:11 PM

did you need to change any cabling or anything else ?

If not , sounds like this is the way to go !

• AzMtnThumper

Posted November 29, 2003 - 08:16 PM

I'll second the Button Renthals :) No cable re- routing on my 600.

• Big_D

Posted November 29, 2003 - 08:58 PM

The only "recabling" that I had to do was to pull the tank and route the cables so they run above the tank mount bolt, and I spun my throttle assembly a little bit. I did put a coule of extra zip-ties to keep the cables in place. Just make sure that the cables have some slack at both left and right extremes.

I have ridden this setup 2 yrs and over 2K miles with zero problems. :)

• XR650_DIrtman

Posted November 30, 2003 - 11:22 AM

Renthal Jimmy Button bend bars ordered.

TX for your input. :)

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.