clutch pull

8 replies to this topic
  • m2g4b

Posted November 09, 2001 - 10:16 PM

I recently tore down my 1998yzf for some routine work, I purchased a new motion pro clutch cable. It is just a oem replacement, nothing fancy. Anyway, my subject is, my clutch is hard to pull in, very hard, at the end of days ride your hand will hurt... I need any suggestions to make it easier to pull, thanks people!!

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 09, 2001 - 02:21 PM

I found that using triflow lube on the cable before each ride makes a big difference on the stock cable (much better than the generic aerosol "cable lube" that I was using before). If you're sticking with the cable then give TriFlow a try!

• Paul_Thistle

Posted November 09, 2001 - 03:34 PM

TRI FLOW IS EXCELLENT, IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT ZEP MAKES A PRODUCT THAT IS THE SAME . BANNANA SMELL AND ALL.IT IS CALLED ZEP 45, IT COMES IN A HUGE CAN FOR ABOUT $7.00 BUCKS.
I USE A PRESSURE LUBER ON THE CABLE, AND SPRAY PLENTY OF LUBE THROUGH UNTIL IT COMES OUT CLEAN.
REMOVE THE LEVER AND POLISH THE LEVER PIVOT, LUBE IT WITH A MIX OF ZEP 45 AND BEL-RAY MOLY LUBE.
LUBE THE LEVER END OF THE CABLE WITH A MIX OF ZEP 45 AND MOLY ALSO.
SPRAY ALL PIVOTS WITH ZEP 45 AFTER EACH WASHING.
FOR BETTER TRACTION ON THE LEVER SPIRAL WRAP THE LEVER SURFACE WITH 1" WITE SURGICAL TAPE.
THAT SHOULD GIVE YOUR HAND A BREAK.
PT

• drifter

Posted November 09, 2001 - 04:43 PM

I put a motion pro cable on my yz250f and after just a few days of riding, the clutch pull became terribly tough! so, i put a yamaha cable back on and bought an 'RTC clutch lever with Honda perch'and it now has a clutch pull like a YZ80. WOW!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxcowboy

Posted November 09, 2001 - 07:37 PM

I Don't use any cable lube...I installed a HEBO hydraulic clutch and it works great and stays easy pull all the time

• Boit

Posted November 12, 2001 - 12:04 AM

The hydraulic clutch is a viable alternative but if you don't want to go that route, the Motion Pro T-2 cables are the next best thing. These cables have a teflon coated inner-sleeve that makes for the least friction. They are a little stiff at first but break-in quite quickly.

• kfrosty

Posted November 12, 2001 - 03:38 AM

I went to an MSR Rapture clutch perch and lever and it made a world of difference. I went with the shorty but I think they also make a regular lever. Set the cable in the easiest setting. It states it makes the pull about 320%. I don't know about that but it's much easier to pull in.

• jamracing

Posted November 12, 2001 - 11:56 AM

I have a Magura clutch with the new slave cylinder for sale, $130, and includes a spare lever.

• PK

Posted November 12, 2001 - 04:55 PM

I'll second the Hebo hydraulic clutch. I love mine and a few guys who have tried have gone out and bought one. No fade, no cable to lube, no adjustment, and a nice easy clutch pull. I tried an MSR Raptor clutch perch and it also made it easier. The reason I took it off was because I couldn't start the bike in gear with it and I still had to adjust it when the clutch would get warmed up.

Pat

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.