Yamaha WR426F 33BHP Restrictor kit.

20 replies to this topic
  • xBl4cKH4wKz

Posted February 27, 2013 - 03:26 AM

Hello there, I have just recenty passed my test and I am now limited to 33BHP. However my wr426 is running on about 55BHP. So can anyone help me find a cheap restrictor kit? Also i've heard that the drz400 has the same carburettor as my bike so if I got the kit for the drz... Would it fit my bike? As Im in college and I have access to professional equipment I could actually make my own kit providing I would have the right measurements.. So any of these options would be really appriciated. Thanks

• n16ht5

Posted February 27, 2013 - 06:17 AM

why would you restrict your bike? I dont understand. If you need to pass a test, just put in a block off plate and jet accordingly, then pull it after the test?

• GuyGraham

Posted February 27, 2013 - 10:17 AM

you've no chance I'm afraid, as the WR is a competition bike and hence thre are no kits that I am aware of
Also, the WR is too light to restrict at 33hp (as it will still exceed the bhp/tonne limit), so to comply with this bit it would need restritcing well below 33hp

No it doesn't have the same carb as the DRZ-S for which there is a restrictor kit - it has the same carb as the DRZ400E, for which there is no kit

BTW - your WR426 is not making any where near 55hp - more like 40

n16ht5 - its part of our crappy licencing laws, imposed on us by the tossers in the EU. After passing the bike test, you are are restricted to 33hp for two years (the laws have just changed again, to more draconian rules) before being able to ride an unrestricted bike (as long as you're over 21)

• MANIAC998

Posted February 27, 2013 - 11:37 AM

GuyGraham, That sucks for sure! But do they ever check to make sure your under 33hp? I mean really, are they going to throw your bike on a dyno to determine if you get a ticket or not? :excuseme:

• n16ht5

Posted February 28, 2013 - 07:41 AM

Just put some washers in your exhaust to bottle it up really bad for the test then pull em. Screw the laws

• GuyGraham

Posted February 28, 2013 - 10:23 AM

They don't check it routinely, but it invalids your insurance as you are riding a bike for which you don't have a licence
This isn't a problem until until you either get done for speeding, or have and accident

Being done for no insurance is a whole world of pain which goes on for years
The insurance companies sting you big time when if you've got one of those convictions
Of even worse consequence if if you hurt someone, and they impound your bike after examine it - the insurance co will refuse to pay out and you could be paying for the rest of your life!

• Leardriver

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:22 PM

That sounds like an annoying law, but sometimes compliance beats fighting it all of the time. A WR250, maybe?

• n16ht5

Posted February 28, 2013 - 08:36 PM

screw compliance. What a bunch of garbage.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 01, 2013 - 05:05 AM

They don't check it routinely, but it invalids your insurance as you are riding a bike for which you don't have a licence
This isn't a problem until until you either get done for speeding, or have and accident

Being done for no insurance is a whole world of pain which goes on for years
The insurance companies sting you big time when if you've got one of those convictions
Of even worse consequence if if you hurt someone, and they impound your bike after examine it - the insurance co will refuse to pay out and you could be paying for the rest of your life!

Ouch!! Archaic laws for sure. I guess in this situation, it's probably just best to live by their rules for the allocated two years then. But instead of restricting a WR450, I'd probably just get a KTM!!! :smirk: Just kidding!!! But seriously, I'd get a DRZ or something for those first two years

• xBl4cKH4wKz

Posted March 03, 2013 - 03:23 AM

But the problem is that I already had travelled VERY far to get this bike.. And Im not even embaressed to say but its conpletely won me over! The top speed is not that great and it has a faulty speedo and killswitch doesnt work (another problem -.-) however I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THAT BIKE! And yes one of the users above is correct. Ill be fine aslong as I dont crash (not planning on doing that anyway) however i dont thing my straight through acrapovic exhaust really helps! Haha atleast the police isnt bothered about that around here :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xBl4cKH4wKz

Posted March 03, 2013 - 03:41 AM

So im back to square one :banghead: I suppose my only hope is to be VERY careful and not go like a full time idiot on the road and try my best not to crash... :naughty: Since im on here i figured I might aswell share the picture of my little baby monster :ride:

http://imageshack.us...9000102134.jpg/

• miweber929

Posted March 03, 2013 - 05:42 AM

So im back to square one :banghead: I suppose my only hope is to be VERY careful and not go like a full time idiot on the road and try my best not to crash... :naughty: Since im on here i figured I might aswell share the picture of my little baby monster :ride:

http://imageshack.us...9000102134.jpg/

Not to be a dick about this, but before you bought wouldn't you check a "list" or at least have an idea of what is legal and what's not? I'd think with the restrictions being so tight it would be almost a common knowledge thing what you can and can't ride legally and what's available to restrict a bike down to legal limits. It's a little late now, but I guess you knew (or should have known) going in it was illegal.

If there is an insert for the DRZ, how do they check for it? Any way to rig up a fake insert that looks like the DRZ one? Not trying to get you in trouble but since we don't have laws here like that and my beginner days were 25 years ago, just wondering if you got pulled over you couldn't point to a "plug" in the airbox and say "Yup, that's my 33hp restrictor I bought" and be good?

Just a thought...

Edited by miweber929, March 03, 2013 - 05:44 AM.

• xBl4cKH4wKz

Posted March 03, 2013 - 05:45 AM

No not really. If i get pulled over there isnt a way they can tell. Onky if you crash theyre allowed to start taking yiur bike apart and ONLY then will they find out... Im considering making my own restriction kit in college... Im going to have to guess the size of the hole and then dyno the bike.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 03, 2013 - 05:57 AM

I'm willing to bet that if you had the stock WR airbox all choked up with the stock "snorkel" you'd be real close to being under 33bhp. Then go from there.

• lewis87

Posted March 03, 2013 - 08:23 AM

I never restricted any of my bikes. The only problem I found was having to provide proof of restriction to my insurance company for a ZX6R. I just modified a dyno printout in photoshop and sent them that, I would of been in trouble if I were to have an accident with a third party though, because all this would of been looked into.

• GuyGraham

Posted March 03, 2013 - 08:49 AM

I never restricted any of my bikes. The only problem I found was having to provide proof of restriction to my insurance company for a ZX6R. I just modified a dyno printout in photoshop and sent them that, I would of been in trouble if I were to have an accident with a third party though, because all this would of been looked into.

exactly - you don't have to have proof that you bike is under 33hp, but if you get done for speeding at say 100mph+ then the police are gonna impound it and test it, and then it starts to get interesting
If you ride around for 2 years, and avoid arousing suspicion, then you'll have beaten the system, but its when you need to comply that you'll be in the shit oz insurance co's will wriggle out of paying at the slightest opportunity

I'm willing to bet that if you had the stock WR airbox all choked up with the stock "snorkel" you'd be real close to being under 33bhp. Then go from there.

Its not just 33hp max, there's also a max 0.16kW/kg ratio that can not be exceeded, so with the WR being so light it would need a lot less than 33hp to fall under this limit as well. This was in place to stop featherweight 125 two strokes being used which put out about 33hp but weigh next to nothing
33hp is about 25kw. so to be able to have the full 33hp you need the bike to weigh at least 156kg which is way more than the WR

33bhp - 25kw =>156.25kg
32bhp - 23.8624kw =>149.14kg
31bhp - 23.1167kw =>144.48kg
30bhp - 22.3710kw =>139.82kg
29bhp - 21.6253kw =>135.16kg
28bhp - 20.8796kw =>130.50kg
27bhp - 20.1339kw =>125.84kg
26bhp - 19.3882kw =>121.18kg
25bhp - 18.6425kw =>116.52kg

so ,with the WR being about 120kg you're looking at 26hp max, not 33

Edited by GuyGraham, March 03, 2013 - 09:04 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 03, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Power to Weight ratio also? WOW!!! I'm glad we don't have those kinds of issues over here!!!

• GuyGraham

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Not our doing, its the tossers in the EU who dreamt up the BS and forced it upon the member states

The sooner we get out of the EU, and claim back our laws the better
Oh to be in the USA or Oz

• allterra

Posted March 06, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Oh my goodness those are some awfully terrible restrictions. Do they have a list of bikes that meet them? I don't know if the honda rebel 250 would qualify.

Edited by allterra, March 06, 2013 - 03:48 PM.

• allterra

Posted March 06, 2013 - 04:02 PM

i just looked it up the Honda rebel has 17 hp however you may get a chuckle out of this. http://www.chacha.co...aha-wr-450-have

Edited by allterra, March 06, 2013 - 04:04 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.