Noisy motor in '99 400

5 replies to this topic
  • Bubba

Posted November 26, 2003 - 07:49 AM

I'm looking to purchase a used 99 400 YZ. The motor seems very noisy to me. The owner states it's normal. He also owns two 426YZ's. Is this correct? He just replaced the cylinder, cams. piston, timing chain.
Asking price is $2900. Is it worth purchasing?

• Bubba

Posted November 26, 2003 - 10:40 AM

Does any others rattle too?

• macross

Posted November 27, 2003 - 02:53 PM

Hiyu mate !
I have a 2000 WR & it rattles like somthing not right , but the lads on the site tell me most do . :)
I've been told to check the timing chain at the top end, they can strech then rattle like mad.saying that mine still goes & pulls like a train, best-a-luck :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted November 28, 2003 - 05:32 AM

My 99 always made noise,scary at first but you get used to it.

• Lukejt

Posted November 28, 2003 - 09:27 AM

Put an aftermarket exhaust on it and you won't even hear it anymore.

Just kidding. It would be good to bring somebody along who knows what it should sound like.

• PBWR450

Posted November 28, 2003 - 10:44 AM

Don't know about the 400's, never heard one run close up but my brand new 450 rattles like a can of marbles IMO. I spent a zillion dollars on a Husaberg FE600 because it sounded like it was coming apart. Still sounded that way after the overhaul. :) Apparently the new 4-strokes are all noisy. My last big thumper was an XT 500, silky smooth. Kinda hard to get used to all the engine noise now. Oh well, guess I'll shut up and ride.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.