Floating the ground vs. half AC/DC

3 replies to this topic
  • 748*2Risk

Posted February 26, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Got a question for all you electrical experts. On my '98 WR400 I have put blinkers, horn, LED brake light and a headlight that has two 20 watt lights on it. For my electrical system I had Ricky Stater rewind that stock coil and run a little radio shack DC rectifier from the stock regulator (AC) to a little battery. I run all my lights off this little battery and all grounds for my lights go to the battery. This sytem works well and I have not had any problems. I want to do some night desert riding this spring and am thinking about the Trail Tech Race Light with 55 halogen bulb - no I can't spend the $$ for HID. Will floating the ground from the coil to a Baja Designs or Trail Tech Regulator/Rectifier to give my bike a full DC system be better for my charging system than my current set up? Sorry for the long post, just want to give you the back ground of what I'm working with.

• RickyStator

Posted February 26, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yes, floating the ground a using a real rectifier/regulator will charge the battery more effectively. We offer them for $35+ shipping for TT members.

http://www.rickystat...lator-p-88.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baja Designs

Posted February 26, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Got a question for all you electrical experts. On my '98 WR400 I have put blinkers, horn, LED brake light and a headlight that has two 20 watt lights on it. For my electrical system I had Ricky Stater rewind that stock coil and run a little radio shack DC rectifier from the stock regulator (AC) to a little battery. I run all my lights off this little battery and all grounds for my lights go to the battery. This sytem works well and I have not had any problems. I want to do some night desert riding this spring and am thinking about the Trail Tech Race Light with 55 halogen bulb - no I can't spend the $$ for HID. Will floating the ground from the coil to a Baja Designs or Trail Tech Regulator/Rectifier to give my bike a full DC system be better for my charging system than my current set up? Sorry for the long post, just want to give you the back ground of what I'm working with.

Like ricky stator a good dc regulator/rectifier will help you. We also have a Halogen version of our La Paz 8" Race light. Can be used with a 55w or 100w bulb and is backed by our lifetime warranty!
We also offer 10% off for thumper talk members
Thanks
Mike

• 748*2Risk

Posted February 26, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast reply guys. Since I gave Ricky Stator business on the stator I'm going to give Baja Designs my business for the R/R, I ordered it last night (the one going to Huntington Beach so hook me up with some stickers) - kind of figured I would need it. You both have a loyal customer for life with this kind of support. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.