My 2001 WR426F Died While Riding

8 replies to this topic
  • jlorence80

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hi. I have a 2001 WR426F. I was riding around at a friends house and when i was coming back in from the field the bike just died. I went to start it and realized there was no compression. I pulled the valve cover off and checked the timing marks on the intake and exhaust valves and found the intake was a tooth off. I pulled out the chain tensioner, inspected the timing chain, aligned the marks on the cam gears and then reassembled. Everything looked ok and the bike seems to run fine now. Do i just need a chain tensioner? Has anybody ever heard of this? Any help would be great! Thanks

• jlorence80

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hi. I have a 2001 WR426F. I was riding around at a friends house and when i was coming back in from the field the bike just died. I went to start it and realized there was no compression. I pulled the valve cover off and checked the timing marks on the intake and exhaust valves and found the intake was a tooth off. I pulled out the chain tensioner, inspected the timing chain, aligned the marks on the cam gears and then reassembled. Everything looked ok and the bike seems to run fine now. Do i just need a chain tensioner? Has anybody ever heard of this? Any help would be great! Thanks

• MANIAC998

Posted February 25, 2013 - 04:03 AM

If I was you, I would replace both the cam chain & the tensioner. The cam chains are known to stretch with time and this is what caused your cam timing to be off by a tooth. Replace both is the best insurance policy to keep it from happening again.

• motoxer667

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:44 AM

you will also need a new chain with the tensioner. My '01 YZ did the same thing. When I got the new chain I compared the length of the new to the old and the old one was longer. Just replacing the tensioner will not resolve the issue

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlorence80

Posted February 26, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Alright sounds like i'm buying a new chain and tensioner! Thanks for the info!

• jlorence80

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Now do i need to pull the motor out and split the case? or can i just take the front cover off, take the chain off the crank gear then feed it up through the top of the head?

• MANIAC998

Posted February 28, 2013 - 12:58 PM

You can do the whole procedure without removing the engine.

• jlorence80

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Alright cool. sounds good

• jlorence80

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:52 PM

So i'm trying to replace my timing chain and i'm going by the book step by step and i can't get the rotor of the crank shaft. i have tried everything! and now the bolt holes on the rotor are ruined and the end of the crank is starting to mushroom out. &%$#@!!? has any had this problem? what can i do?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.