Quick question for Jetting Gurus

7 replies to this topic
  • john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u

Posted November 09, 2001 - 02:31 AM

What throttle position do the different Jets control?

For example, I thought the main Jet controled from about 3/4 to full throttle. Now I'm not sure that I'm correct.

What about the pilot, clip position, and air/fuel screw?

Thanks for your time.

John

• Merfman

Posted November 09, 2001 - 05:04 AM

There *is* overlap between the circuits, but as a general rule:

pilot= 0-1/8
needle=1/8-3/4
main=3/4-WFO

Merf

Posted November 09, 2001 - 06:19 AM

Thanks Merf:

Any thoughts on the air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb.

John

• DaveJ

Posted November 09, 2001 - 07:35 AM

John,

There's also a great carb circuit profile in the tuning section of the manual. This shows when each circuit is in use. Be sure to check it out.

DaveJ

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_in_KC

Posted November 09, 2001 - 08:39 AM

The pilot jet, fuel screw and pilot air jet (there is also a main "air" jet) all play a role in the starting, idle to 1/4 throttle, and the "snap" right off the bottom.

The needle is, IMO, the single most important factor in the power your bike makes. You YZ guys already have a good stock needle (EJP) and the difference would be minor, but my WR came with a MUCH leaner (DRR) and the difference was huge when I switched mine to an (ELN)! Clip position also makes an enormous difference as well. In my case the needle was totally new and I started right in the middle at clip #4...it ran horrible and I was bummed. I then got my composure, got some more advice from James Dean (the real jetting guru) and moved the needle down (up to clip #3) and it was a totally different bike. Huge hit, awesome power, everything.

As suggested, read your manual and hang around here long enough and you'll learn a lot. Some great guys giving advice!!

• Merfman

Posted November 09, 2001 - 09:15 AM

Originally posted by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u:
Thanks Merf:

Any thoughts on the air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb.

John

Think of the fuel screw as a fine tuning adjuster for the pilot.
And, I can't speak for your bike, but mine's finicky as
can be on that adjustment.

Posted November 09, 2001 - 09:39 AM

Thank you all very much for your help. I was just getting good at jetting my KX 250 when I sold it and got the 426.

I thought I knew which jets effected what throttle position. But after talking to a friend of mine this summer, I wasn't sure.

However, it turns out that I was more or less correct. That air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb. is new to me however.

Thanks again,
John

• Merfman

Posted November 09, 2001 - 10:14 PM

Originally posted by john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u:
Thank you all very much for your help. I was just getting good at jetting my KX 250 when I sold it and got the 426.

I thought I knew which jets effected what throttle position. But after talking to a friend of mine this summer, I wasn't sure.

However, it turns out that I was more or less correct. That air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb. is new to me however.

Thanks again,
John

John, just to clarify, it's a fuel screw.
If the screw is between the carb and motor, it's a fuel screw.
If the screw is between the carb and airbox, it's an air screw.

On fuel screw, out is richer, in is leaner.
On air screw, out is leaner, in is richer.

Merf

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.