First ride on 2012!

18 replies to this topic
  • JDLowrance

Posted February 24, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Just got back from my break-in ride and gotta say this bike impresses. I'm comming off an 09 WR450 and this bike has way more snap and power off the bottom, through the mid and just a bit more on top (with similar mods...full FMF pipes, uncorking, etc.).

The suspension is light years better (and this is after $1000 spent on 09 with Factory Connection)...it's a little harsh on chop but absorbs the big hit really well. Did notice a bit of twitchyness from the front end (couple clicks on the Scott's LS damping helped but did not completely eliminate it, will continue to play with set-up until sorted). Currently running 6.7 on rear and 0.50 up front. Got some 0.54s in the garage which should hold the front up a little better and provide a little more stability.

Also, this bikes ergos are smallish. I'm 6'2" 250lbs and already installed a KX High pro taper bar and GYT-R bar risers (10mm up and 5mm forward). I've installed Fastway pegs but cannot get them to the lowboy postion. This would help the ergos immensely but there is no easy way to accomplish this. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate them. I'm thinking of building up material by welding and then milling them to match the current peg stop in the normal position (hard to explain here).

Oh, MX51 front tire is shit in typical Cali desert conditions. Got a 739FA in the garage waiting to go on. MX51 rear is brilliant.

Hit me up if you have any questions I didn't touch on.

More to come.

Oh, one other thing...I applied a set of Tech-Spec grip pads to the airbox (I had them custom made for the 09 and they fit the 12 as well). They look brilliant and work even better (allows your legs to grip bike without any effort at all)...I will not ride a bike without them and just wanted to let you know the 07-11 and 12/13 use the same airbox. If you want a set (and you do) contact Robbie at Tech-Spec. $45 well spent.

Edited by JDLowrance, February 24, 2013 - 03:34 PM.

• jetrep

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for posting this. I picked one of these up a couple weeks ago but it'll be a while yet before I can actually ride it. It's killing me!

• cwallershasta

Posted February 25, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Right on, I've hadn't ridden mine since the end of November 12. Finally got back out yesterday and at first I figured I'm sure to crash at least a couple times today after not being on the bike in three months. Nope, I got on it and felt totally comfortable from the get go. We rode about fifty miles and in some pretty technical stuff too. Didn't wreck once and had an incredible day, man I love this bike.

• woods-rider

Posted February 25, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Man, I hate threads like this. Makes me feel like my bike is so ancient. I bought it new in '06 and have loved it since. However, I have ridden a buddies '09 and it feels so much lighter than mine even though it's not. The '12 is supposed to make the '09 feel heavy. My bike must feel like an anvil compared to them. If I get the chance to ride one before I am able to buy one I don't know if I would take the offer because I would probably end up buying one before I am financially ready. Everything I have read about them makes them sound awesome (especially compared to my dinosaur).

• Yzfracer

Posted February 25, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just got back from my break-in ride and gotta say this bike impresses. I'm comming off an 09 WR450 and this bike has way more snap and power off the bottom, through the mid and just a bit more on top (with similar mods...full FMF pipes, uncorking, etc.).

The suspension is light years better (and this is after $1000 spent on 09 with Factory Connection)...it's a little harsh on chop but absorbs the big hit really well. Did notice a bit of twitchyness from the front end (couple clicks on the Scott's LS damping helped but did not completely eliminate it, will continue to play with set-up until sorted). Currently running 6.7 on rear and 0.50 up front. Got some 0.54s in the garage which should hold the front up a little better and provide a little more stability.

Also, this bikes ergos are smallish. I'm 6'2" 250lbs and already installed a KX High pro taper bar and GYT-R bar risers (10mm up and 5mm forward). I've installed Fastway pegs but cannot get them to the lowboy postion. This would help the ergos immensely but there is no easy way to accomplish this. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate them. I'm thinking of building up material by welding and then milling them to match the current peg stop in the normal position (hard to explain here).

Oh, MX51 front tire is shit in typical Cali desert conditions. Got a 739FA in the garage waiting to go on. MX51 rear is brilliant.

Hit me up if you have any questions I didn't touch on.

More to come.

Oh, one other thing...I applied a set of Tech-Spec grip pads to the airbox (I had them custom made for the 09 and they fit the 12 as well). They look brilliant and work even better (allows your legs to grip bike without any effort at all)...I will not ride a bike without them and just wanted to let you know the 07-11 and 12/13 use the same airbox. If you want a set (and you do) contact Robbie at Tech-Spec. $45 well spent.

What style grip pads from Tech-Spec? Do they work well standing up?

• JDLowrance

Posted February 25, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Call Robbie at Tech Spec...there is only one style...he custom made them for me back in 09 from a template I sent him. Just bought another set last week for the 2012.

The whole reason for putting them on the bike is they allow you to stand and grip the bike effortlessly.

These pads are the black rubber ones...similar to car tire rubber. They are very durable and stick like glue. I had the same original set on my 09 for 4 years. Still looked good when I sold the bike.

• n16ht5

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:30 AM

pics??

• Navaho6

Posted February 26, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm sure Tech Spec makes good stuff. Have you ever heard of Stomp Grip? They make seat covers with their gripper pattern in the sides. Really nice if you like having extra grip , and it will not harm your riding gear. They also make adhesive-backed gripper material to put on the sides. They have a pre-cut kit for a lot of Yamahas. I usually put mine on the tank because that's where my knees are when I'm standing. On the older WR's, the plastic tanks leak gas vapors so decals or gripper tape will not last. As a cheaper alternative, I've been using gripper tape made for stair treads. You can get it at Home Depot or order online for a fraction of the cost. It's available in colors or clear. Will not tear up your pants either.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 26, 2013 - 12:13 PM

I've not had any luck with Stomp Grip products...they don't grip. In my experience they peel off in less than 1 ride.

No issues with Techspec. They stay put and do not damage riding gear.

Posted Image

Here is a photo of my 09 just before I sold it. Hard to see the airbox I know. If it posts I'll take a pic of the 2012 and post it tonight.

Hope it posts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted February 26, 2013 - 04:50 PM

Here are photos of the 2012 and Techspec grip pads installed on airbox. Sorry, haven't had a chance to wash it since Sundays ride.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers.

• Bandit9

Posted February 26, 2013 - 05:57 PM

What does PMB have to say about future Low Boy mounts?

• JDLowrance

Posted February 26, 2013 - 06:40 PM

All I get from the useless sales people is "not for WRs"

No solutions forthcoming so looks as if I'll have to rectify the situation myself.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 04, 2013 - 09:14 PM

All I get from the useless sales people is "not for WRs"

No solutions forthcoming so looks as if I'll have to rectify the situation myself.

This is interesting.    From what I can tell the peg mounts on a '12 WR450 are the same as on the YZs, especially the YZ250F, EXCEPT that the left peg mount also forms part of the kickstand mount.  You'd lose the kick stand if the new peg mounts were the same as a YZ peg mount.

Is this the reason they aren't available for WRs ?

• JDLowrance

Posted September 05, 2013 - 10:39 AM

This is interesting.    From what I can tell the peg mounts on a '12 WR450 are the same as on the YZs, especially the YZ250F, EXCEPT that the left peg mount also forms part of the kickstand mount.  You'd lose the kick stand if the new peg mounts were the same as a YZ peg mount.

Is this the reason they aren't available for WRs ?

I guess so. I ended up building up weld material and machining it down to proper height for the peg stops. Works well.

• Bandit9

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:45 AM

So how does your damper mount over the center of the steering stem nut with your bar risers 10mm up and 5mm forward?

I'm going to start another thread on the Ergos.

• RMK800

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:16 PM

I've not had any luck with Stomp Grip products...they don't grip. In my experience they peel off in less than 1 ride.

No issues with Techspec. They stay put and do not damage riding gear.

Posted Image

Here is a photo of my 09 just before I sold it. Hard to see the airbox I know. If it posts I'll take a pic of the 2012 and post it tonight.

Hope it posts.

I like your graphics on your 09. I can't seem to find the same thing fork graphics etc. where did get them from?

• Bandit9

Posted October 24, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Looks like FX on the fork graphic. The tank graphic is the stock graphic, in case you didn't know.

• JDLowrance

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:47 PM

So how does your damper mount over the center of the steering stem nut with your bar risers 10mm up and 5mm forward?

I'm going to start another thread on the Ergos.

I have the Fastway damper and handguard mount system. The top plate of the bar clamp can slide forward and backward to allow proper positioning of the damper so it's lined up with the CL of the steer tube.

• JDLowrance

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yep, FX on fork protectors and stock WR on shrouds.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.