New here with valve shim question

2 replies to this topic
  • Shooter88

Posted February 23, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hello all, first post here. Just recently after a break from riding that lasted about 3 years or so, I decided to jump back into it. I have an '04 YZ450F and an '06 YZ250. I decided that before I started riding the 450 again, I needed to check the valve clearances. The two exhaust valves are about .18-19mm. Just out of spec. All three intake valves were in the .10-.15mm range so I'm good there. Now, I have never done any kind of valve work on anything so I'm probably going to sound like a newb. It would seem to me that I would need a smaller (thinner) shim to increase the distance between the lobe and the bucket and get it back up into that .20-.25mm spec. Am I right or wrong?

Also, what shim kit would you guys recommend?

Thank you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:21 PM

You're right. But I recommend no shim kit unless you are going to be working on three different bikes.

You have two valves out by a single shim size or less. Buy two shims and be done with it. Shim kits are $70-80 or better and give you 3 of each size. That includes about 28 sizes you won't ever use on a YZF, BTW. You can get "refill packs" from Hot Cams in shorter size ranges for half as much with 5 each of shims you may actually use one day, though.

BTW, if your Yamaha dealer doesn't have them in stock check with the Honda shop. The same shims are used in the CRF450. They'll have plenty on hand.

Also, you should have a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• Shooter88

Posted February 23, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Thank you grayracer :thumbsup:

I will definately get the refill kit over the other.

Also, thanks for the links.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.