2002 ktm 200 exc suspension

7 replies to this topic
  • flandersander

Posted February 23, 2013 - 12:59 PM

I bought a ktm 200 exc this summer. It's an 02. I didn't do anything with the suspension as it was the end of the summer, but I fear I suffer from the dreaded ktm headshake. It happened a few times at different speeds. Once at top speed, and a couple times at about half speed. It feels like negative feedback from the ground surface, because it seems to only happen when I'm going at an angle to the bumps. I ride mostly farmers fields, so it's like soft washboard. And when I drive at an angle, it feels like the bars want to fallow the ground. What adjustment do I need to do to correct this? I still need to set the sag correctly. Will that alone fix the problem, or is there too much/not enough compression/rebound dampening? I've always just set the sag and went with it. What do you think?

• arnego2

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:02 PM

it could. Have you tried to change your body position when getting the head shake?

typo

Edited by arnego2, February 24, 2013 - 08:51 AM.

• flandersander

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yeah I have. Doesn't seem to matter. I can lean way forward, way back. Doesn't change. The only way I can do anything is by pulling back hard on the bars. Trying to stop the shaking. It's not a great feeling. It's not just the way the bike is right? This is my first enduro. I've had mx bikes before and none have done this even without setting the sag.

I might also add I notice it more under acceleration. When I accelerate rather hard for a short period it feels like its probably at its worst. This is almost making me regret buying a ktm. Haha

I just did the fork seals, and put the fork flush with the top of the clamp. Where should it be?

Edited by flandersander, February 23, 2013 - 05:11 PM.

• mog

Posted February 24, 2013 - 06:13 AM

Set the sag to 110mm and see if it helps, forks flush is correct for Max stability

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • arnego2

Posted February 24, 2013 - 08:55 AM

I think MX bikes are more forgiving when doing offroad. The settings are a bit harder so that could be the reason it was better.

• MrBlahh

Posted February 24, 2013 - 09:46 AM

part of what makes the pre 2008 200's work so well in the woods is what causes the headshake, a steering damper lets you keep that handling and fixes the headshake

• flandersander

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:02 AM

part of what makes the pre 2008 200's work so well in the woods is what causes the headshake, a steering damper lets you keep that handling and fixes the headshake

And what exactly is that? Please enlighten me. :)

I ride mostly farmers fields but have a fishing trip up in the woods where i'll get to try it out. I was surprised when it started bucking at me because it has a reputation for handling like a champ.

So by the sounds of things I need to set the sag, then if its still shaking, get a steering damper. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Maybe I'll sell it for a for stroke. Anybody wanna trade for a wr 450? Haha!

Just re reading this. Wouldn't it start shaking going over rocks and stumps too? That would be freaky if I had nowhere to go but trees...

Edited by flandersander, February 24, 2013 - 10:04 AM.

• MrBlahh

Posted February 24, 2013 - 10:07 AM

same thing that makes any bike headshake, steep steering angle, that is what makes it turn so good in the woods, it's not a high speed desert bike, they are kinda scary in 6th as they are twitchy

set sag per manual, I'm not sure what it is on that year 200

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.