2002 yz426f video (EXTREME BACKFIRE)

Yamaha YZ426F 2002

6 replies to this topic
  • Yama426f

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Well I just got a new to me 426.. I noticed that it backfires alot.And tends to bog when I get on the gas. I think the exhaust is missing a connecting piece, I can see fire coming out the pipe What do you think can cause this??((SHowed in VID) I read around and played with the idle screw which stopped it a lil, but not much..I plan on cleaning the carb and maybe a re jet if needed cause it does have an aftermarket exhaust.. White Bros if im not mistaken.Check out the video I made though and give me some feedback. THANKS!!!

Edited by Yama426f, February 22, 2013 - 08:29 AM.

• The 300 Guy

Posted February 22, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Backfire on decel. The first thing I would do is to clean out the exhust, repack anything in the silencer, and see what happens. I plug one end, fillit up with low odor mineral spirits, and shake well while also tapping the pipe(s) with a deadblow hammer. This usually does the trick, especially if I plug it off and fill the pipe up. Usually this will clean out any deposits if soaked overnight. While doing this I would also make sure your timing is dead on as well. Maybe a valve slightly out due to cam or cam chain that is causes a retardation. In my experience, it is usually the pipe needing cleaned. I hope that helps some.

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:13 AM

If you have a visible exhaust leak, it is likely that that all by itself is most, if not all, of the cause of your backfiring. Get a new seal for the mid pipe joint from Yamaha and see how it works after that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yama426f

Posted February 22, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks MArshall.. I'll give that a try. And Gray that is what i thought it could be because you can clearly see the flame coming from the mid pipe but was not sure.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted February 23, 2013 - 04:44 PM

My buddies 426 started doing the same thing. It was like lean popping really bad. Checked valves, exhaust leaks, jets in carb. Come to find out the air adjustment screw/knob on the bottom of the carb feel out.

• Pooley

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Uugh, you need a clamp around the midpipe to start.

• d3an182

Posted March 03, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Thats just a bad connection between pipes causing an air leak and maybe a very rich mixture

Edited by d3an182, March 04, 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ426F 2002 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha YZ426F 2002
  • * * * * -
  • 25 reviews
  • Last review by fiddyplus
  • On October 04, 2016

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.