WR 450 letter to Yamaha

53 replies to this topic
  • endurodog

Posted February 25, 2004 - 05:12 AM

The going price on an 03 WR450F is $3,400.

Alabama where are you getting your prices from? Just for reference I went to Cycletrader.com and they have 7 2003 WR450's listed nation wide. Low was $4500 and high was $6000. Also checked on several other 2003's

YZ450 $4300-$5500
CRF450 $4400-$5600

Checked on the Texas Enduro Curcuit website and found 1 WR listed for $4950 and 1 KTM525 for $4500, both 2003 models.

Now given these are not the selling prices for any of the models but the asking prices give us some idea of whats going on.

Again I'm not defending Yamaha, they have dropped the ball on this and I'll be looking at different manufactures for my next bikes but you seem to be over reacting a bit. If your talking trade in value as you stated in another post, your always gonna get hammered on it, no matter what make or model of bike you have.

• WR372

Posted February 25, 2004 - 06:19 AM

The problem is that the word is out on the WR450F, and you can't get SHT for it. . [LIST] The going price on an 03 WR450F is $3,400.

So you are saying that for $3400 I can buy a 03, put $300 in upgrade parts and have a hell of a bike for $3700? Am I missing someting?

• ddialogue

Posted February 25, 2004 - 06:31 AM

I think what Alabama is getting at is that realistically, for those of us with '03's the only way we'll be able to get out of them is to trade them in and take the trade-in screwing. We could ask a fair price for them but they would probably not sell because of the woodruff key issue. Of course, there will always be exceptions to this (Dan Lorenze, comes to mind :)) but overall, who would want an '03 with it's bad reputation? If I were in the market right now I wouldn't even consider a '03 WR450.

Anyway, I think the point he was trying to make is that we can all hope to sell them for a fair price but we'll most likely have to dump them at the dealer for painfully low trade-in values to get rid of them.

• endurodog

Posted February 25, 2004 - 07:28 AM

I think the point he was trying to make is that we can all hope to sell them for a fair price but we'll most likely have to dump them at the dealer for painfully low trade-in values to get rid of them.

I'm just not seeing in evidence of this. It's speculation. What I think he is getting at is he is really upset, more so than the rest of us that own 03 WR450, and he's is whipping it up to be a bigger issue than it is. I know of no one that has had to settle for this price.

I sell a bike about every other year and sometimes I have to sit on them for awhile before I can sell them, many months in some cases and I offer them at the low end of the price scale. I have a 79 Enduro 175 that is in good shape sitting in my garage for 10 months now. I'm asking $525, great starter bike, but no one is looking and no offers. This is a very fair price. It's just the market, nothing wrong with the bike.

I would like to hear from someone that has sold (not traded) a good condition 03 WR450 for under $4000. I understand that with the problems this model has it isn't going to be a fast mover but lets be realistic.

• ddialogue

Posted February 25, 2004 - 11:02 AM

Endurodog,

You make some very good points.

For kicks and grins I just called my local dealer and got some numbers from him. Trade-in on my 03 would be $3,500 with average retail on the 03 being around $4,800. Still not worth trading in and taking a beating on it. I guess if you can sit on a bike for several months while trying to sell it that's good but I'm sure most of us (me included) have to sell the one we've got to help offset the cost of the new one before I can actually get the new one. :D

I had to practically give my 02 WR away and it was only 8 months old with 600 miles on it. Had it for sale for five months and only had four calls on it. Sold it for $3,900 :) and tradein at the time was $3,800. Oh well. Live and learn.

• endurodog

Posted February 25, 2004 - 11:09 AM

Sold it for $3,900 and tradein at the time was $3,800. Oh well. Live and learn.

No doubt, trading them in or selling them, even without issues some of them have, we take a beating in this sport money wise. I think it would be the same no matter the model you were trying to trade.

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 25, 2004 - 01:22 PM

I'm not sure where all these numbers are coming from. Just to put it into perspective a quick check of the Kelly Blue Book shows a trade in value for the 2003 CRF, YZF and the WR at $3545, $3500 and $3455 respectively.

Kelly Blue Book

$90 total difference does not sound like the sky is falling. I know this an emotional issue for many of you. I agree that Yamaha has not stepped up as they should but the fact is none of the manufacturers back their products. Did Honda replace all the intake valves on the CRF's - NO! Just check the warranty: Honda = 0, Yamaha = 30 days. I'm not sure about Suzuki and Kawasaki. They all pretty much abandon the user. Yes it sucks but that's the way it is. Once you put aside your emotions and look at the economics of the situation it probably makes more sense to just buy the parts and keep the bike than dumping it. It's an awesome bike once the starter issues are resolved. Let's face it - Dirt bikes are a lousy investment!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted February 25, 2004 - 05:34 PM

it probably makes more sense to just buy the parts and keep the bike than dumping it

IMHO, this is ABSOLUTELY correct.

Don't cut off your noise to spite your face >> eat it and buy the parts to upgrade. Anyone that does ANY research wouldn't buy a used 03 WR450 becuase of this exact issue.

I know I wouldn't... :)

• pedman

Posted February 25, 2004 - 05:56 PM

... Let's face it - Dirt bikes are a lousy investment!

Man, I thought my boat was :)

• jonnytmoto

Posted February 25, 2004 - 06:53 PM

Had my key recalled before anything went wrong thank heavens. Yamaha Motor Canada can be mailed at:

Yamaha Motor Canada LTD.
480 Gordon Baker RD.
Toronto, ON
M2H-3B4

I wonder if the recall notice # is the same. Just double check with local shop.

Since mine has apparently been "fixed" and seeing that others are still having a problem is really making me think . :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 25, 2004 - 08:32 PM

I agree with most. I am going to run this bike into the ground and then buy a CRF450X in spring of 2006 and order all the aftermarket goodies that will be available by then.
I hope Honda gets on the fuel injection program! :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:21 AM

You said the H word!! :) :D

• sjw

Posted February 26, 2004 - 05:26 AM

did anybody read my post --- This Might Work ?

• Alabama_Rider

Posted February 29, 2004 - 02:00 PM

Can't find anyone is this area who will pay near book retail of $4800, thus your only options are to trade to the dealer for wholesale ($3,400), or upgrade parts and keep forever because you will never get anything back for the upgrade, or ride it till it breaks. :)
One WR450F for sale, blue book retail value, 1000 miles, never had the key problem... pm me. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.