valve seals

4 replies to this topic
  • Tankengine

Posted February 20, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hi would like to know if you can change valve seals without removing the head. ive done this on my car with a tool that pushes the spring down with piston at top dead centre
so the valve stays up then you can change the seal. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 20, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi would like to know if you can change valve seals without removing the head. ive done this on my car with a tool that pushes the spring down with piston at top dead centre
so the valve stays up then you can change the seal. Any help greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about the Valve seats, or Stem seals?

It doesn't matter though, you have to remove the head either way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NB061

Posted February 20, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Valve Seals - You dont have much room to do what you are thinking like on a car. If you did attempt it you run the risk of scratching the surface that the bucket rides in along with dropping one of the keepers in the bottom end. 5 bucket surfaces and 10 keepers at risk. I wouldnt even think about attempting it. Maybe others do but I could R&R the head faster/safer IMO.

Edited by NB061, February 20, 2013 - 04:48 PM.

• Tankengine

Posted February 21, 2013 - 02:47 AM

Thanks for the reply I think your correct in saying its to risky etc, I'll keep riding it for now it's only puffing a little bit of smoke on start up. Will take the head off in winter and re do top end:) thanks again.

• behive

Posted February 24, 2013 - 01:48 AM

You can do this, piston at BDC pressurise cylinder with air via spark plug hole. Or if no acess to air remove plug, feed non fraying rope into cyl at BDC, compress rope by turning crank, lock crank with boit thru timing mark hole, dismantle buckets etc. Plug any holes to bottom of motor so not to lose parts, have magnet handy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.