Colorado In December

13 replies to this topic
  • HighPlainsWR

Posted November 24, 2003 - 08:47 PM

Where besides Pueblo can a guy go to get a ride East of the Divide in December. Iv'e been to Pueblo so many times it feels like I'm riding in a dump. Are there any spots Southeast of Canon City between Raton and Pueblo that are worth the trip from Denver ? I wish they would open Fort Carson. Need a trail ride soon or my wife will make me do housework!

• endurodog

Posted November 24, 2003 - 10:33 PM

A little further South, Espanola New Mexico. There is an area there that they hold an enduro at called the Kachina Enduro. I hear you can ride there in the Winter. Never have, just done the Enduro in the Spring. If you go to the RMEC web site. www.racermec.org , then the schedual page, then click on the entry form for Kachina. There is a map at the top of the entry form that will get you in the area. Much better than Pueblo.

• jwriott

Posted November 25, 2003 - 07:39 AM

You can usually ride Left Hand Canyon all winter long. Just don't go up there right after a big snowstorm. It's good enough for a 1/2 day worth of riding. Most of the trails face South so they are usually melted enough to ride on. Dont' go down any snow covered hills unless you bring someone that knows the area. Otherwise, you may be pushing the bike back up the trail.

The Pawnee National Grasslands aren't bad but it's just one area called the Main Draw which is about 2 miles long and 1/3 mile wide.

Are they going to open Fort Carson to riding?

• Merfman

Posted November 25, 2003 - 08:25 AM

> Iv'e been to Pueblo so many times it feels like I'm riding in a dump

What, you don't like riding between shot-up washing machines?

FWIW, I'm with you.. I don't ride there any more. For winter
practice, I use Aztec. They're having a HS there on Saturday BTW.

Merf

• Wicked_Crash

Posted November 25, 2003 - 02:11 PM

Hey Merf, where can I find info on the harescramble at Aztec? Entry fees etc.?

I love Pueblo! All that broken glass on the hillsides that you can see for miles... what's not to like :D :) It used to be alright back in the day, but now it's just an unofficial dump.

• comp182

Posted November 25, 2003 - 03:20 PM

Hey Highplains if you find a place to ride you better call me. When was the last time you went riding???? Talk to you later.

• bd450

Posted November 25, 2003 - 08:26 PM

Merf must be sleepin :)... here's the link to Aztec :D.

www.aztecraceway.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merfman

Posted November 26, 2003 - 07:09 AM

Thanks BD... I was kinda busy yesterday.

Wicked, if you make it out, look me up. If all goes well,
I'll be pitting for some buddies on Saturday.

I raced this last year and it was a blast!

Merf

• HighPlainsWR

Posted November 27, 2003 - 11:12 AM

Yo Comp,

Haven't been riding since Moab in early November. How about you ? Last I heard you we going to Vegas - should have brough your 426 with you. Where is Left Hand Canyon ? In Texas Creek ? Also this New Mexico spot looks good - love rock and sand. Got to check that web site out too. It's only a three hour drive ? Iv'e scoped out Pawnee, but it's only 2 miles long and I got that terrain in my backyard. Before 911 you could ride Ft. Carson with an officer - had an "in" there but he's now in Iraq kicking some ass. :)
Hope I ride soon or my 106 will be sludge in the 450.

High Plains

• HighPlainsWR

Posted November 27, 2003 - 11:21 AM

Enduro D.

Have you ridden there ? North of Santa Fe, hmm... sounds like Grand Junction, or more like Rabbit Valley ? Let's see, Santa Fe is 4 hours from Denver ? Interesting.... Going soon ?

High Plains

• endurodog

Posted November 27, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Have you ridden there ? North of Santa Fe, hmm... sounds like Grand Junction, or more like Rabbit Valley ? Let's see, Santa Fe is 4 hours from Denver ? Interesting.... Going soon ?

I would say it looks just like Rabbit Valley. I have not ridden Rabbit Valley but seen it. I've ridden the enduro down there the last 5 years but not been there play riding before but it would be a fun area. I need to plan a trip there.

• HighPlainsWR

Posted November 27, 2003 - 12:51 PM

Enduro D.

I'm interested and I'll bet we could con Comp 182 and some of my dogs to do a weekend day, say Saturday leave at 0500. Pueblo by 0730, Raton by 0830, puts us in Santa Fe by 0930 and riding by 1000, 6 hours of riding till dark. If it's like Rabbit Valley it's a hoot - book cliffs, sand hills and lots of washes. Been to RV often, but not often enough. Looks like your area is West Northwest of Santa Fe. How many square miles would you guess that NM area is ?

• endurodog

Posted November 27, 2003 - 05:41 PM

I'm not sure on the size in miles but there are lots of kewl trails there. I'll do some checking on the size of the area. Sounds like a trip in the planning!!!!

• SMD

Posted November 27, 2003 - 07:55 PM

Not sure of the actual size of Alcalde.....left my BLM map at the office. If you know your way around though you can run 50+ mile loops without back tracking. If you catch it just right with a little moisture its hard to beat.....on the other hand during the summer or just after the Kachina it can be an ass beater. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.