Which Rekluse for a 04 YZ450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • I2cou4u2

Posted February 17, 2013 - 10:23 PM

I am trying to decide which Rekluse to get for my 04 YZ450F. The clutches that I am looking at is the EXP 2.0 and the Z-Start Pro. Unfortunately, the Core EXP is not available for my year bike, so the only options are the EXP 2.0 and the Z-Start Pro. I am leaning towards the Z-Start Pro because it doesn't remove some of the clutch components like the EXP does. I am wondering which clutch is better suited to my bike? I have the bike set up for woods riding, which is all that I ride. If anyone has any input on which clutch would be better, please let me know.

This topic has probably been covered already, and I have searched already, but I still have some more questions about these clutches.

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2013 - 07:19 AM

Have you read this?:

http://www.thumperta...1-rekluse-help/

The Z-Start does remove one pair of plates from '03-'06 clutches, leaving them with 8 friction plates, like the '07-'13 clutches. Works fine, though. I haven't had any trouble as a result.

Also, I'm not at all sure why Rekluse lists the Core EXP as not fitting the '04. As far as I know, the '03-'04 and the '05-'06 clutches are entirely identical except for the primary drive gear ratio. But that affects the basket (if using OEM parts), and the Core doesn't include one. It uses the original basket.

• I2cou4u2

Posted February 18, 2013 - 12:07 PM

I have read that thread before and that us why made me lean towards the Z-Start Pro. But I have also read that others say the EXP 2.0 is a smoother clutch and an all around better design. Also, has anyone heard that Rekluse is phasing out the Z-Start Pro? And going to the EXP clutches only?

Thanks for all the help everyone

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Have you read this?:

http://www.thumperta...1-rekluse-help/

The Z-Start does remove one pair of plates from '03-'06 clutches, leaving them with 8 friction plates, like the '07-'13 clutches. Works fine, though. I haven't had any trouble as a result.

Also, I'm not at all sure why Rekluse lists the Core EXP as not fitting the '04. As far as I know, the '03-'04 and the '05-'06 clutches are entirely identical except for the primary drive gear ratio. But that affects the basket (if using OEM parts), and the Core doesn't include one. It uses the original basket.

Sorry Grey but I did not quite understand your post. I have an 03 and have not got a Rekluse yet due to the price tag of the z-star pro are you saying the EXP AND CORE EXP will fit from say an 06. I can justify spending 300 on a 10 year old bike but not 7-800.

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2013 - 09:50 PM

The EXP 2 absolutely will fit. Whether the Core does or not, you should clear up with Rekluse. The clutch boss changed in '05. How exactly, I'm not sure, but that may be the problem, since the boss is one of the parts replaced with Rekluse components.

If you're balking at $800, forget the Core EXP.

• coop63

Posted February 28, 2013 - 06:35 AM

I am trying to decide which Rekluse to get for my 04 YZ450F. The clutches that I am looking at is the EXP 2.0 and the Z-Start Pro. Unfortunately, the Core EXP is not available for my year bike, so the only options are the EXP 2.0 and the Z-Start Pro. I am leaning towards the Z-Start Pro because it doesn't remove some of the clutch components like the EXP does. I am wondering which clutch is better suited to my bike? I have the bike set up for woods riding, which is all that I ride. If anyone has any input on which clutch would be better, please let me know.

This topic has probably been covered already, and I have searched already, but I still have some more questions about these clutches.

I have an '04 450 and the Zstart pro works great. I don't have any experience with core. The z start retains manual clutch function as well, and can be adjusted in numerous ways, depending on riding environment. Really easy to install, just don't overtighten. In/foot, not lbs/foot!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.