Jumping?

8 replies to this topic
  • reed_YZ426

Posted November 07, 2001 - 08:12 PM

i know this is a stupid question. but im doing something very wrong. When jumping a double/tripple/step up/table top on the 426 whats your approach? do you just keep on the gas steady? blip the throttle at the face of the jump or what? all my friends ride 2strokes so they just keep telling me befor i get to the jump let off then blip the throttle at the face of the jump. but by the time i do that the compression of the bike kicks into reality and slows me down! causing me to nose dive. even if i let off for a second befor a jump. so any tips would be grateful. my lower body parts can only take so much banging on the gas tank when i indo. :)

• 426ER

Posted November 07, 2001 - 08:29 PM

HEY REED I HAVE LET YOU KNOW FROM LEARNING THE HARD WAY YES MY..... TOO I HAVE LEARNED THAT STAYING CONSITANT WITH THE GAS IS THE BEST WAY TO DO MOST JUMPS. I ALWAYS STAY ON THE GAS I DONT BLIP CAUSE THAT WILL SEND YOUR NOSE TO HIGH . JUST STAY ON IT . I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU .

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bill ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 08, 2001 - 03:56 AM

Agreed, steady throttle is the way to go. If you get up over the front then you can also accelerate over the face of the jump, but blipping at the last minute has proven to aim the front wheel at the moon for me.

• 426_Pilot

Posted November 08, 2001 - 06:27 AM

Another thing that helps me is going over the jump in as high a gear as possible. The higher the gear, the less the effect of compression braking. Also, weight as far forward as possible for the takeoff. Just my 2 cents.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • reed_YZ426

Posted November 08, 2001 - 07:41 AM

Thanks guys! smooth steady throttle it is. i'll try it next time i go out and ride. hopefully my ...... will never meet the gas tank again.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: Bill ]

• DOC

Posted November 08, 2001 - 12:01 PM

i beg to differ. Have a look at www.dirtrider.com. Go to Wardys riding techniques and look at the posts under jumping. Hope it helps. Technique is everything!

• reed_YZ426

Posted November 08, 2001 - 09:04 PM

i tried going to dirtrider.com but that didnt work. anyone know if thats the actual URL

• DOC

Posted November 08, 2001 - 09:51 PM

sorry my friend, that should have read www.dirtrider.net. Scroll down the page until you get to 'visit the forums', and then to Wardys riding techniques.

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: DOC ]

• crazyadam

Posted November 09, 2001 - 04:58 AM

STEADY THROTTLE! slight adjustments are ok, but anything radical will send you off balance. a little bit of pre-load will also help you stay flat in the air, and give you more air time to make last minute corrections. Or to pull the sick seat grab superman. I sucsessfully landed on my second try. first try I ended up too vertical, and could not get my feet all the way down to the pegs. I landed with both feet on the seat.. snowboard style.. now thats a different feeling!
:)
AS FOR THE NUTS.... have you tried spandex bicycle shorts. I won't ride without them. you can keep everybody out of harms way. they can be a little warm, and quite tight, but better than a gut wrenching squeeze
:D cheap insurance for the little guy! :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.