Applied Racing Smog Block Off

10 replies to this topic
  • Eric_Mc

Posted November 24, 2003 - 05:31 PM

I am having trouble removing the "Emission Tubes" from the front of my motor. It takes a 5mm allen wrench to remove the one bolt. I think the guy who assebled my motor must have welded this bolt in. I broke 2 wrenches and don't know what else to do. Any trick to this? It is kind of a Booger to get at :D :D :D :D :) :D

• loufish

Posted November 24, 2003 - 06:41 PM

It is kind of a Booger to get at?

Hell yes! I had to cut down a allen wrench with a cut off wheel to get mine off. They must hire some gorilla to tighten these up at the factory.

• Eric_Mc

Posted November 24, 2003 - 07:02 PM

When they put the Smog junk on these things, I guess they really didn't want anyone to take it off! loufish, What did you use for leverage? I am down to my last wrench and I don't want to break it! :)

Posted November 24, 2003 - 08:01 PM

• BWB63

Posted November 24, 2003 - 08:25 PM

The last one I did was a bear. I twisted the allen wrench and then got the bright idea of taking a long screw driver and putting it between the radiator and the frame and smacking it good with a hammer. At angal in the direction to loosen it. :D It was Hugo's bike Jay, not yours ;o). That loosened it up enough to get it to break free. When I was braking them loose at first I was doing it from the left side with the radiator loosened and pushed as far out of the way as I could then I found A way to do it from the right side that gave me more leverage. From the left side I had to cut the allen wrench down. I would have to have one apart and in frount of me to give a step by step. I whish I would take the time to make a web page so I could share the pictures. I have welded quite a few stock ones and haven't burnt one up yet. I cut the tube 3/4 of an inch from the plate (got to get it off first)with tin snips and then weld the tubes till they're just round bumps on the plate. Put the o-rings back on the back side, have my kid put it back in and tighten the allen down and I finish it off. If you had one of those inpach driver that you hit with a hammer and got a 5mm allen socket, could get it between the radiator and the frame (looen the right of left radiator so, you have room) and pow the problem would be over. I have one and it dident down on me till now :D You can get all that stuff at kragen. 5mm socket that is an allen wrench long exstantion and inpack driver. :D maybe the frame is in the way thats why I used the screw driver. :) I'll go look. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted November 24, 2003 - 08:34 PM

You got to have a harden top quality wrench or it will just strip. :)

• Eric_Mc

Posted November 24, 2003 - 09:38 PM

I thought about the impact, but there is no Freekin room to use it! I am going to pick up a couple different allen tools tomorrow. Wish me luck! :)

• larry650

Posted November 24, 2003 - 11:32 PM

I did this 2 years ago and i`m a little fuzzy on the details but I got the working room to get at that bolt when I removed the left header pipe. Undue the bolts at the left header -exhaust manifold and the left pipe should separate from header assembly.

• Eric_Mc

Posted November 25, 2003 - 08:12 AM

Thanks, I tried that and the the header bolts are still in the way. I'll get that sucka today! If not, anyone want to buy a 02'BRP? J/k! :)

• Eric_Mc

Posted November 25, 2003 - 08:10 PM

Well, I don't have to sell my PIG! I got that stinkin bolt out! I scraped my last knuckle and tried something else. I did the Ol' screwdriver and hammer bit! I took at least 6 hard whacks to break that thing loose! But it is all better now. Thanks for all the help! :) :D

• Eric_Mc

Posted November 30, 2003 - 06:10 PM

I forgot to mention, my bike runs a "Big Load" better without the smog crap on it. The idle is much smoother now for sure! :)

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.