cam specs

8 replies to this topic
  • chouca222

Posted February 15, 2013 - 04:03 AM

I have a sumo 09 yz450f with athena big bore + aftermarket exhaust. This bike works really well on low and mid end but miss a lot of power on top. On quick straight track all the others 450 toast me. The difference is huge. I compared with a friend 06 yz450f also with athena big bore and the same exhaust as me + bored carb, ported head and hotcam intake. This bike works really well. It works as mine on low and mid end but has a lot of power on top end.

I was looking for yz camshaft specs and I found this topic

Based on these values and on webcam explanations, it seems that yz 08/09 should have more low and mid and compared to 06. But Gray always says that 08/09 yz450f have 2 horsepower more than 06 yz on top. What is the thruth?

What could explained this difference between my bike and that of my friend? I think that dored carb, cam spec and ported head all together explained this, but what is the most important factor?

Sorry for my English. I hope that you undestood my question.

• grayracer513

Posted February 15, 2013 - 07:46 AM

If you just look at the cam numbers, you would conclude that the '06 would have more top end, if for no other reason than the greater overlap with the '06 cam set. Dyno sheets, however, repeatedly show the '08-'09 models at 50-52 peak horsepower, and the '06 at 49-50.5. Obviously, there are other factors like the ignition advance curves and the exhausts, and I don't know of a comprehensive, truly scientific comparison having been done between only the cams on a bike where other factors were equal. It would be interesting to try the '06 cams as a set and see what came of it. Remember that it is the torque curve that makes the bike accelerate, not the ultimate power numbers.

But regardless of which one turns out best, if you want really significant gains, I would pursue a set of aftermarket cams. You'll get much more gain from them. To fully utilize them, have the carb bored or switch to a 41mm from a CRF, add a tunable ignition box, and get a good port job done.

• chouca222

Posted February 15, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ok. So the difference at peak horsepower between 06 and 08/09 could be explained by the difference in cdi or the head channel.

My bike has excellente acceleration but it miss power on top. I only have problem in long straight part of the track.

I agree with you to do all the mods. Maybe do cam and bore the carb and see how it works. Do you have a preference for cam? Stage 2 should be better for top end power.

• grayracer513

Posted February 15, 2013 - 02:08 PM

I understand, but the issue is one of acceleration if it won't accelerate from say 110 to 130 km/h as it should. Using a tach at least for a test would help you to know where it's actually falling off.

No preference, really. I haven't got a good reason to modify my engines that way. The only time I come up short on top end is by running out of gears.

Stage 2 cams will produce more top end, yes. You might want to look at the GYT-R cams as well as some of the others.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chouca222

Posted February 16, 2013 - 01:18 AM

I am not out of gear. It seems that the engine does not rev in 4 or 5th speed. Maybe the main jet is to big? It is a 170.

I will try to measure speed with a gps to determine when I miss power

For the moment, the engine is split in half for a complete rebuilt

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2013 - 09:32 AM

170 is on the big side, alright, but not way over. Might even be right at the low elevations you have in most of Belgium. Try a 165 and see what happens.

• chouca222

Posted February 17, 2013 - 02:13 AM

Thank you. I will try this when the rebuilt will be finished.

• beezer

Posted February 17, 2013 - 06:18 AM

On any big bores I have done you had to lean them out some.

• chouca222

Posted February 17, 2013 - 06:38 AM

Yes I know that. The bike was jetted by the previous owner of the bike.

I try to find a jetting base on the forum, but I saw some people ride with 145 main jet from and others with 185.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.