what oil to use/why is there metal in the filter?

9 replies to this topic
  • strack

Posted November 07, 2001 - 05:27 PM

Hello, I have a yz400f, and cant decide which brand of oil some of you use or reccomend. i have a friend that has a wr400f and he uses maxima oil so i was leaning towards that or yamalube. also in my oil filter as well as the wr400 oil filter they have small metal pieces on them. Can anyone tell me what this may be coming from? Is this normal for these bikes?

• bbeakley

Posted November 07, 2001 - 06:08 PM

No experience with the 400's but my 426 had a lot of small metal shavings in the filter at the first oil change. It's gotten progressively better then longer I've had the bike. I'm at a point now where I usually don't see any metal bits. If your bike has been ridden quite a bit and you're still getting metal particles, you're officially beyond my troubleshooting capabilities. Good luck!

• yz_loco

Posted November 07, 2001 - 06:31 PM

I had the same thing happen with my 400 for the first 2 or 3 oil changes. Each time I saw less and less, now it's totally clean. My buddy had a '98 and it was the same way. Also, don't forget to clean the strainer as well.

As far as oil - I'm using Yamalube 4R. It's been great so far, and I've torn my bikes down a couple of times. I have been giving some thought to switching to Amsoil. I've been reading up on their synthetic blends and the new motorcycle-specific products they've added to their line.

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: yz_loco ]

• SMP

Posted November 07, 2001 - 07:06 PM

The flakes are normal for the break in period. The "new" parts are wearing into each other, thing will losen up and more power will be made. After a couple of oil changes, the flakes should be at a minimum.

• FASTFRANK

Posted November 08, 2001 - 04:34 AM

I HAVE A 2001 426 AND HAVE BEEN RIDIN MOTORCYCLES SINCE I WAS THIRTEEN. I HAVE BEEN A DIE-HARD BEL-RAY USER MY WHOLE LIFE. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN GOOD TO ME. I USED TO USE THE EXP SEMI-SYNTHETIC BUT NOW I USE THE EXL REGULAR BEL-RAY. CYLINDERS ALWAYS LOOK GREAT WITH THIS OIL. I EVEN RUN IT IN MY LAWNMOWER LOL. I JUST CHANGED MY OIL FOR THE SECOND TIME IN MY 426 AND STILL HAD SOME PARTICLES IN THE FILTER BUT A LOT LESS THAN THE FIRST OIL CHANGE. BEL RAY HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A LONG TIME SO I KNOW THAT IT IS A GOOD OIL AND PROVEN.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dr._400

Posted November 08, 2001 - 07:20 AM

As long as you use a motorcycle specific oil your bike will be fine. I prefer semi sythetic myself, Belray EXP is good, Motul 3100, Yamalube 4R, Maxima. Honda Pro oils are suppose to be good although I've never used them myself

I get good deals on Yamalube and Belray So I tend to buy those two brands here where I live. If you find a shop that gives good deals on a certain oil go with that to save money. I change the oil in both my bikes (street & dirt) often so I prefer to buy what my shop sells the cheapest.

As for your metal flake findings, after the first few oil changes it should all go away. My bike came with a magnetic drain plug and I see no metal build up on it like I did the first few oil changes. Change your oil every few rides on a regular basis, check for metal, if it's clean then go ride and have fun. :)

• MikeOK

Posted November 08, 2001 - 02:04 PM

My '00 had metal flecks in the filter for a very long time but they are rare now after maybe 100 hours or so. I used to have a '83 XR 350 and it had metal every time I cleaned it until I sold it last year, I thought it was going to hollow itself out slowly through the oil filter hole! It was still going strong when I sold it though so I really wouldn't concern myself unless it was chunks of metal...

• dan_Rekito

Posted November 09, 2001 - 04:34 PM

my 426 had alot of flakes and metal bits for about 3 oil changes then it seemed to clear up.
Japanese machining always leaves sharp edges and burrs. Ive been using yamalube 10w50 since new

• Psycho426

Posted November 12, 2001 - 11:39 PM

I am at my 6th oil change and my filter still has the odd flake but not nearly as much as the first two changes. I use Motul 5100 Ester.

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Psycho426 ]

• LOOPOUT

Posted November 13, 2001 - 05:25 AM

well as a former 426 owner i am guessing most of the metal flakes are from the clutch... & yes it gets less after a few changes.. Better in the filter than floating around in your engine...

I assume most of the flakes are clutch fibers because on my new 450 there was almost no ( i had to almost tear the filter apart to see any) flakes.. I think this is Do to the clutch having separate oil ...

Dont worry about it... the yamaha 400/426 is a proven super reliable engine!! Ride the wheels off it!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.