Possible lighting solution.

4 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted November 24, 2003 - 02:22 PM

I grow tired of replacing the 1157 bulbs in my rear fender, and my buddies considered trying to fab up some kind of LED light, but it looks like we found a cheap way to get the same results!

Posted Image

This is an LED bulb that fits into the 1157 space in the stock fender!

It should emit very bright light; be much more durable than a filament-type bulb; and it should draw significanly less current that the filament type.

Will report back after riding with it tonight.

• Burnrider

Posted November 24, 2003 - 05:09 PM

I tried one of those on my KLX. The heavy end pulled from the metal base after some trail bouncing. I bet a guy could put a piece of foam weatherstrip under the plastic lens because the LED does not generate the heat of a candescent bulb. I went back to a single element bulb for the rear, not being street legal anyway. One thing you can try, if the 1157 (or any other) bulb is sloppy. Go to the Home P-hole and get a roll of aluminum tape from the heating aisle. Use of strip of that on the base to shim it up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maurpra

Posted November 25, 2003 - 05:10 AM

Interesting!

It includes also stop light circuit (ie more brightness)!?!
Where is possible to buy one of them?

• BrandonW

Posted November 25, 2003 - 07:18 AM

I did not ride much more than around the block, but it seemed to light up fairly well.

Yes, it does have a dual circuit for the brake light function.

I bought it at the local "Schuck's" automotive store, $6.00 I think.

Posted Image

• ddialogue

Posted November 25, 2003 - 09:51 AM

Interesting!

It includes also stop light circuit (ie more brightness)!?!
Where is possible to buy one of them?

Yes, it includes the tail light and brake light circuits. I put one in mine back in March and it's still going strong. Auto Zone had a 2-pack for $15. Still got the spare in the toolbox. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.