Yz426 issues

3 replies to this topic
  • supercornfish

Posted February 13, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hi guys. I'm new here. I just recently got a 2002 yz426. I rode it for one day, not hard, and the lower end scrapped out. Needless to say I got another motor and got it all put back together. The issue I am having is that the bike seems to be loading up. I got it to run for about 2 minutes the first day. Since then it has only kinda sputtered. I took the carb out and cleaned the three jets I could get to easily. And still no bang. I reset the float adjustment to clymer manual specs. I believe it was .35 inch. If u have any advice that would be awesome. The carb is off the 02 motor and it is a keihin flat cr if it makes a difference. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Sputtering and misfiring could be the result of using the wrong spark plug. The bike should have an NGK CR8E, or one of the iridium variants, or an equivalent heat range in another brand. Any colder and they'll foul it.

The question otherwise is whether it's rich or lean. Lean is characterized by stumbling and gasping for air when the throttle opens or the engine is loaded, while rich is characterized by "blubbering", a regular, sputtering misfire effect.

Check the carb slide. The vacuum release plate may be installed upside down, or it may be cracked or broken. Also check the seal between the plate and the slide.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • supercornfish

Posted February 13, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Awesome thank you. I'm a little confused on what the slide plate is. Is it behind where the throttle cables hook up? Sorry this carb is funky to me. I did find out that my ignition coil was bad. It's weird because it fired up the other day but loaded up pretty easily, but maybe because it had weak spark. I ordered one should be here in a couple days. I'm hoping that solves it

• supercornfish

Posted February 13, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Ah sorry I realize what the slide plate is now. Lol. It seems to be good to me. But I'm not quite sure how to properly check it

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.