Crank Shaft Runout

5 replies to this topic
  • wweagleflyer

Posted February 12, 2013 - 08:08 PM

During a recent tear down of my 06 450F engine, I inspected the runout on my crankshaft. Holding the crank on centers as the manual calls for, I get an indicated total runout of 0.005". The manual says to replace if over 0.002" runout. According to a machinists handbook, the "runout" is taken as 1/2 the indicated runout as obtained by taking the maximum minus minimum reading on a dial indicator runing on the bearing journals. Is this interpretation of "runout" correct? If that is the case, my runout is 0.0025"

I have already purchased a new crank, in part due to the runout issue, and in part due to heavy wear on the cam chain drive teeth on the crank. The bike had the heaviest flywheel weight you can put on (651 grams total flywheel weight - about double stock flywheel weight). I noticed that there is no material removal on the flywheel weight for balance, which leads me to believe that the flywheel could be out of balance. What is the liklihood that an out of balance heavy flywheel could have been the cause of my excessive crank shaft runout?

Even if the flywheel weight ring is balanced itself, a slightly loose fit onto the flywheel, or misplaced welds (see attached pict) could cause an imbalance. With that much weight that far from the center of rotation, it wouldn't take much of an offset to cause a problem. Has anyone run into issues with this before? I just can't think of anything else that could have thrown my crank out of true.

As a reference, my new crankshaft has a runout of 0.0007" (0.0014" indicated). I have both the stock and heavy flywheel and am wondering if I should go back to the stock flywheel if the heavy one will throw my new crank out of true. Any experienced opinions?

Thanks,

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• Flywheels.png

• Geoffit

Posted February 13, 2013 - 12:46 PM

What seems to happen on the 450 cranks is that they spread opposite the crank pin I would guess that if you looked at the run out gauge you would see that it was "low" at the bearing surface on the crank pin side of the wheel. If you had a good cam chain sprocket ( stupid that is not replaceable) you can just press the crank together in a vice 180 from the pin and get it trued up. the only way to prevent this is to weld the pin after truing. which makes rebuilding a pain. These cranks are not pressed together with very much force. I guess the heavy flywheel cant help but they do it even with out one.

• wweagleflyer

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:48 PM

You are exactly correct, my crank was spread opposite the crank pin, and I did see a low runout as you describe. Having nothing to loose since I was planning on buying a new crank, I did try to true it up in a vice, but managed to overdo it and made the runout worse in the opposite direction. Do you know of shops that balance flywheels? My local shop says it is done, but they can't do it.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2013 - 07:52 PM

You understand there's a difference between truing and balancing, right?

Ask for the crank to be trued and you'll have better luck.

• Geoffit

Posted February 14, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Even if the flywheel weight ring is balanced itself, a slightly loose fit onto the flywheel, or misplaced welds (see attached pict) could cause an imbalance. With that much weight that far from the center of rotation, it wouldn't take much of an offset to cause a problem. Has anyone run into issues with this before? I just can't think of anything else that could have thrown my crank out of true.

If you can track down Jeff Fox at Fox performance in Colorado Springs he has a specialty balance shop and could do the weighted flywheel.

• wweagleflyer

Posted February 14, 2013 - 11:06 AM

You understand there's a difference between truing and balancing, right?

Ask for the crank to be trued and you'll have better luck.

I do understand the difference, but just thought that an unbalanced flywheel could cause the crank to become untrue. However Geoffit indicates that cranks going out of true is not an uncommon occurance, which implies it might not be related to my modified flywheel. I just wanted to try to get it balanced just in case since I am putting a brand new crank on it (which is already running true).

Geoffit, thanks for the lead for Fox performance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.