pressure release?

8 replies to this topic
  • mx_rider23

Posted February 12, 2013 - 07:38 PM

im looking at a yz 450f and the guy said that you have to pull it with a truck while 2 people sit on the bike to get it started and he said it could be fixed with a pressure release?
im just wondering what that is, if it would actually fix it, and if so, how much the part would cost?

• 79yamdt

Posted February 12, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm guessing he means a decomp. I beleive the 450f's do not have them and by switching a to a WR cam you gain this feature which makes for easier starting. Otherwise he needs to learn how to start his bike or fix whatever is causing starting so difficult. It does take a bit to get them to turn over but there is a kick starter there for a reason, and that reason has nothing to do with dragging the bike to get it started. Your supposed to kick the bike once or twice to start it and be on your way.

• YZ2Smoker98

Posted February 12, 2013 - 08:20 PM

You can't be serious...

• Monk

Posted February 12, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Even of you are serious, I would walk away!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXandy63

Posted February 12, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Oh boy. I picture two guys in bib overalls on the bike with a dude that looks like joe dirt driving a beat pickup down a dirt road just trying to 'git that' YZ to just 'release'. Do yourself a favor and please pass on that gem.

• The_Vernsker

Posted February 12, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Oh boy. I picture two guys in bib overalls on the bike with a dude that looks like joe dirt driving a beat pickup down a dirt road just trying to 'git that' YZ to just 'release'. Do yourself a favor and please pass on that gem.

I had the same exact image in my head! :lol:

• KJ790

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:07 AM

He probably means a decompression mechanism, which that bike already has. My rule of thumb is that if a guy cannot fix his own bike, I don't listen when he tries to tell me how to fix it.

• poldies4

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:23 AM

If a bike is hard to start don't buy it. Not worth the hassle imo. Unless you are getting it as a fixer upper and want to wrench on it. I don't know 4t's very well, but well enough to assume it has more issues than he is letting on.

• CBus660R

Posted February 13, 2013 - 06:59 AM

As noted, the bike has an auto-decompression system to allow for easy starting. The reason the bike won't start is something is wrong with it. My guess is the head is shot and probably needs a piston and rings. If the price is real cheap and you're capable of doing a complete rebuild yourself, I wouldn't necessarily say don't buy it, but is it worth it compared to what the price is on a clean, easy to start bike that needs no work?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.