Loud clicking sound on 2012 yz450f

10 replies to this topic
  • Matta986

Posted February 12, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hello all,

So today while i was riding my 2012 yz450f i heard a weird and loud clicking sound(clicked once or twice) and thought it was maybe a rock in the chain or something so i kept on riding. About 30 secs later it came back so i stopped and realized it was coming from the engine. Its just a very loud clicking. The engine will idle but when you rev it it starts to click. I turn it off as soon as it starts to click. I took off the valve cover and everything looks fine. The valve clearances are within specs. When i turn the engine over manually everything looks good and i can't make it click Any ideas? Where should i start to look for the source of the clicking?

Thanks

• Monk

Posted February 12, 2013 - 03:50 PM

Cam chain.....

• Matta986

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:01 PM

Needs to replaced? What would have caused this?

• Monk

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well I wouldnt call it a clicking sound, more like a ticking sound!

Cam chains stretch....I have a 160hrs on my 500exc and replacing the CC this week........

• Matta986

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:09 PM

I have a lot less then 160 hours on it. Maybe around 40 hours. But i'll give it a shot. I really appreciate the help!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 79yamdt

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Needs to replaced? What would have caused this?

Well this is just an unfortunate side effect of riding a bike :) parts wear and chains stretch. You do understand that the piston needs replaced somewhat frequently along with multiple other parts. Valve clearance needs checked etc.

You need to get some more ride time in if you only put 40 hrs on your bike in the year or so you've owned it.

And how were those 40hrs ridden??

The 500 pumpkin that was mentioned earlier is most likely trail ridden exclusively. And maybe some on road, not sure if he has his plated or not.

Edited by 79yamdt, February 12, 2013 - 04:25 PM.

• Matta986

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Well this is just an unfortunate side effect of riding a bike :) parts wear and chains stretch. You do understand that the piston needs replaced somewhat frequently along with multiple other parts. Valve clearance needs checked etc.

You need to get some more ride time in if you only put 40 hrs on your bike in the year or so you've owned it.

Yes, i understand all that. I've only had the bike for just over a year and didn't think i'd need to replace this part this soon. My old bike was a cr250r, got to get off the easy 2 stroke
maintenance.

• Monk

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:25 PM

And how were those 40hrs ridden??

The 500 pumpkin that was mentioned earlier is most likely trail ridden exclusively.

Lol.....you should see me trail ride :smirk:

• Matta986

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:28 PM

its probably more than 40 hrs, i was just making a guess. I mostly ride dunes.

• 79yamdt

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yes, i understand all that. I've only had the bike for just over a year and didn't think i'd need to replace this part this soon. My old bike was a cr250r, got to get off the easy 2 stroke
maintenance.

Yeah. Just tear into it and check the specs on things. I think the chain is under 20bucks. Goodluck I'm sure you'll find the problem once you get acquainted with all the fancy 4 stroke stuff. It might make you miss your smoker for a bit but as long as you take care of the bike you'll be happy.

The sustained high rpm's that your engine likely goes through during dune riding will definitely take it's toll on any engine.

Edited by 79yamdt, February 12, 2013 - 04:33 PM.

• Matta986

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Yeah. Just tear into it and check the specs on things. I think the chain is under 20bucks. Goodluck I'm sure you'll find the problem once you get acquainted with all the fancy 4 stroke stuff. It might make you miss your smoker for a bit but as long as you take care of the bike you'll be happy.

The sustained high rpm's that your engine likely goes through during dune riding will definitely take it's toll on any engine.

Is there anything else i should replace while i have it opened up?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.