CR250 Showa Fork Problems. Any advice appreciated!

Honda CR250R 2002

4 replies to this topic
  • AuS250X

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:32 AM

Good day everyone, i would very much appreciate it if someone could shed some light on a problem i have been dealing with for sometime now on my 02 CR250.

After a trip to a local MX track about a year ago i noticed the next time i rode the bike whenever i would accelerate sharply or lift the front wheel in any way, the forks would
slam back down with a terrible knock( as if there was nothing slowing it down and the springs just forced it to bottom out so to speak). i am very inexperienced with suspension but straight away knew there was a problem. my immediate reaction was to play with rebound settings and to have a look inside, in which i saw no oil in the top chamber of the fork, but not knowing anything about them i still didnt have much of a clue.....

Anyway, not riding the bike much i left it to sit for a while and then finally took it to the local bike mechanic and told them the problem. I returned a few days later and the mechanic said there was no oil in the top chamber... so they had refilled it and the replaced the seals. After a few rides the problem has returned and im wondering what would cause this oil in the top chamber to escape like this? i would like to aviod having to take it anywhere again..... any help is welcome!!

• Vietze

Posted February 12, 2013 - 05:08 AM

I had a fork in some time ago which also hasnt got any oil in the cartridge.
Very strange.

However, the cartseals are most likely blown causing your problem. The oil cant disappear, its in the outa chamber...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YHGEORGE

Posted February 12, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Take your forks to a competent susp guy this time.

• AuS250X

Posted February 12, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yeah i think i will take it to a different guy.....

• cleaner1

Posted February 13, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yeah i think i will take it to a different guy.....

My buddies bike did the exact same thing. I opened up the forks and added oil to the inner chamber because it was almost empty. While bleeding the chamber oil started to run down the damper tube. Turns out the bottom seal in the inner chamber was leaking. He took the fork to one shop and they told him that there was no seal down in the lower portion of the inner chamber. :naughty: That guy had no idea what he was talking about. :banghead: I sent him to a competent suspension guy and problem solved.

I bet your first mechanic replaced the upper seal. If I were you I would try to get my money back for the labor from the first guy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

A few pics from Hollister this weekend on my 2002 CR250 by kawi008

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

02 to 07 CR250 cylinder heads? by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

How can I determine if a 2002 CR250 motor will fit, with slight mods, into a 1995 CR250 frame? by 5th gear tapped wide

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda CR250R 2002 by ThumperTalk

Honda CR250R 2002
  • * * * * -
  • 18 reviews
  • Last review by AHLIVA
  • On November 04, 2014
Forums
Photo

The REAL Scoop on 02-04 CR250R by brraaapperdoodle

• * - - - -
  • Hot  164 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.