2012 wr450 vs 09 yz450?

14 replies to this topic
  • nolo263

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have a question for those who have possibly owned both. I am waiting for my 2012 wr450f to arrive. Recently i have been riding my buddies 09 yz450. His bike is awesome with tons of power. Will the 2012 wr450 feel like that fully uncorked with full exhaust and with the correct map?? His bike will wheelie on command in first three gears. 1st and 2nd will wheelie on pure power. I am hoping i will not be dissapointed after riding his.
Thks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:34 PM

No, it won't feel exactly same.
Your WR is 40 lbs heavier, and has a heavier front weight distribution.
You can map and pipe your bike to be quite good, and it does use the smaller (smaller than your buddies) 250YZ frame, which will make if feel lighter.

• nolo263

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:41 PM

His being an 09 will it still be down on power compared to the 2012 wr? I am talking about wheelie power raw power.

Edited by nolo263, February 11, 2013 - 05:46 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:45 PM

His being an 09 will it still be down onpower compared to the 2012 wr?

I don't understand what you are asking.

• nolo263

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:47 PM

09 yz carbuerated and being older vs new wr450 fiel injected ect.. Or does the fuel injection not make that much difference?

• capt justin

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:50 PM

wr does not have the same cam, less hp, more lbs.

• Bandit9

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Stock no, but do the ecu kit, exhaust, and map, plus If you throw in the YZ Exhaust cam it will be close enough.

My 09 is well set up and can lift the front end in 3rd with just throttle. That is with stock cams, not YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nolo263

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thks i ordered mine before i rode my buddies and his bike freakin rocks!! I am afraid that mine will be a dissapointment now. It is amazing how i can throw his bike around like nothing. It will also easily wheelie over anything.

• capt justin

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:10 PM

the wr is a more plush ride, softer suspension, e start. It's a great bike you willl loveit. However it comes very corked up and restricted. The list of free mods are on here .

• nolo263

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I already ordered exhaust, ecu and controller and ais removal kit. I just hope i do not regret not getting the yz.

• Bandit9

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:22 PM

As it arrives stock, you will be disappointed. Just a warning.

Get her uncorked and set up correctly, you will be happy.

• jksull

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:25 PM

[color=#FF0000]Will the 2012 wr450 feel like that fully uncorked with full exhaust and with the correct map?? [/color]

My 12 will loft the front any time you want in 1-3 with 15-50 gears. It has yz module with factory map and FMF Q4. In 4th and fifth over a slight rise in the road above 45 mph it will power the the front up. With the stock 13-50 gears if it is in it band wheelies are just a flick of the wrist if you let it

• cwallershasta

Posted February 12, 2013 - 01:31 PM

I rode (bought new) an 08 YZ 450 up until last May when I sold it to get the 12WR. I like my 12WR better because the suspension (witch is set up for off road), the way it turns, and the fuel injection. My YZ was great once I set it up for off road, but it does not compare to this WR with the mods done. Freakin love this bike, just wish I was riding it. cmon spring!

• nolo263

Posted February 12, 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thats good to hear thks brother

• GP1K

Posted February 13, 2013 - 01:01 PM

I have a question for those who have possibly owned both. I am waiting for my 2012 wr450f to arrive. Recently i have been riding my buddies 09 yz450. His bike is awesome with tons of power. Will the 2012 wr450 feel like that fully uncorked with full exhaust and with the correct map?? His bike will wheelie on command in first three gears. 1st and 2nd will wheelie on pure power. I am hoping i will not be dissapointed after riding his.
Thks

I just picked up a 2012 WR450 as well. I have the Q4, ECU etc all on order, but right now it's still bone stock except the throttle stop thingy is gone. I've not ridden a YZ450 so I can't compare to that, but I can tell you bone stock it wheelies whether you want it to or not in 2nd any time you roll on the throttle, and comes right up in 3rd with just tad of body English and light tug. I haven't a chance to try in 4th yet, but I'm guessing with a little more body English and a lilttle more tug it will come up as well. Once it's uncorked, I'm sure 4th will be about as easy as 3rd is now.

IMO the bike it totally rideable in stock form, but you can definitely feel it's corked up and there's more power in there waiting to be unleashed. I ride mostly tight woods, single track, etc. So for me, quality of power delivery is more important than quantity. So far the WR feels smooth and predictable power-wise, and I can lug it down in 2nd or 3rd and it tractors pretty good. Again its not as crisp as it could be, and that should go away with the pipe and ECU. I can't imagine anyone but the most die-hard power junkie being disappointed with this bike once uncorked. It will never feel quite like a YZF, but I wouldn't want the more aggressive MX type power delivery and gearing etc in a woods bike. YMMV

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.