2012 wr450 headlight

Yamaha WR450F 2012

27 replies to this topic
  • donkeyballz

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hi I have a 2012 WR450f and and was trying to wire the head light for high/low beam. I have the tusk switch with the three wires power/low/and high can anyone help with details on this? Also has anyone converted there 2012/2013 to a HID kit?

• Low Down

Posted February 11, 2013 - 01:18 PM

I have a '13, and also have the Tusk switch. I ended up buying a headlight socket from AutoZone (the kind that has the three female spade terminals), then ran the power lead that went to the bulb to the black wire on the switch. From there you wire the white wire from the switch to the low beam (green) wire on the socket, and the dark blue wire from the switch to the high beam (red) wire on the socket. Then wire the ground lead to the ground on the socket. The socket I used has a rubber boot that creates a nice seal on the back of the headlight.

Link to the socket I used: http://www.autozone....entifier=767899

Hope this helps.

• donkeyballz

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:57 PM

I have a '13, and also have the Tusk switch. I ended up buying a headlight socket from AutoZone (the kind that has the three female spade terminals), then ran the power lead that went to the bulb to the black wire on the switch. From there you wire the white wire from the switch to the low beam (green) wire on the socket, and the dark blue wire from the switch to the high beam (red) wire on the socket. Then wire the ground lead to the ground on the socket. The socket I used has a rubber boot that creates a nice seal on the back of the headlight.

Link to the socket I used: http://www.autozone....entifier=767899

Hope this helps.

I went to Auto Zone got the same plug and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the clear easy to understand help!

• Low Down

Posted February 12, 2013 - 04:03 PM

No problem. You're gonna love that high beam if you do any riding at night... I'd say it's the best stock headlight I've used on a dirtbike.

:cheers:

• YZ250SubGuy

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Pardon my ignorance, what capacity is available from the stator and what bulb do you recommend for use with this socket for New England trail riding?

Thanks

• Tohelluride

Posted April 14, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Any of you guys know of a switch that is just For high low lights and maybe has a horn button on it as well?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 14, 2013 - 01:58 PM

There was not a high/low HID kit for the stock shell that I could find.
I went with a single stage H4-HID bulb and ballast from Ricky Stator.

• jerejim

Posted April 15, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Have you figured out how to make the rear light work or have to get a new light?

• Low Down

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Have you figured out how to make the rear light work or have to get a new light?

You can use the stock taillight. The harness is next to the ECU (behind the left side cover) and has the wire you need to wire a brake switch to. Wire one lead of the switch to the + battery terminal and the other switch lead to the third (brake light) wire on that harness, and Bob's your mothers brother.

:thumbsup:

• DuncR6

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:22 AM

http://www.thumperta...artkill-switch/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jerejim

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Do all of you guys have your brake switch on the front brake not the rear? I was thinking to put on the rear..

• DuncR6

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Do all of you guys have your brake switch on the front brake not the rear? I was thinking to put on the rear..

Front only for me. I have no reason to put in the effort and add one on the rear.

Edited by DuncR6, May 02, 2013 - 09:31 AM.

• Low Down

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:44 AM

I did both... it's stupid simple. As cheap as it is to do, why the hell not?

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, the question is rhetorical.... I don't care one way or the other what you choose to do with your damn brakes.

• jerejim

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thank you!

• jerejim

Posted May 07, 2013 - 06:00 AM

I passed the State Trooper inspection! Thanks all for the help. BTW, that Tusk switch for headlight works perfectly. I put the hydraulic switch on the rear brake. Double take mirror and a $9 horn. Gosh I love Colorado.

• donkeyballz

Posted May 26, 2013 - 11:21 AM

I also did both front and back for the brake light. The dealer here in Wa said that both had work for them to sign off on it. Cheep and easy anyways.

• MaxPower

Posted June 04, 2013 - 06:00 AM

I did both... it's stupid simple. As cheap as it is to do, why the hell not?

Because on my 04 the wire that exits the pressure switch comes out of the bolt right next to the pipe .

• Low Down

Posted June 05, 2013 - 02:46 PM

Because on my 04 the wire that exits the pressure switch comes out of the bolt right next to the pipe .

Um..... yeah, the thread isn't about an '04...

Anyway, I said my question was rhetorical. You seemed to leave that part out for some reason... :bonk:

• MReyes

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:44 PM

@ Low Down

Pretty sure this is what you mean for the wiring on the socket and switch. I'm working on my 2012 as we speak. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• MReyes

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Pic

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

• 20 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.