YZ number plate and rear fender on 2012 WR450

• 5 months later...

This article talks about doing it.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hi-torque/mxa_201209_dealer/index.php?startid=74#/75/OnePage

For some reason they felt they had to change the triple clamps to do it.   Me, I would have saved the $300 and made a bracket to adapt the YZ number plate to the WR triple clamps.   FYI, some jurisdictions require a front light in order to run on public trails.

I got my headlight off. Used a battery bracket off of a XT225. The dealership i support figured out this little bracket works really well. Its an L shaped bracket that has threaded holes on each end. Drilled and tapped a hole into the triple clamp, and use an 8mm head bolt to hold the # plate on the other end. Works pretty good. No issues after several crashes already.

• 1 month later...

All the wires are still there, i just wrapped all the wires together with electrical tape and packed them as neatly as i could behind the number plate. As long as the YZ number plate is on there you cant see any of the wires. 

I got my headlight off. Used a battery bracket off of a XT225. The dealership i support figured out this little bracket works really well. Its an L shaped bracket that has threaded holes on each end. Drilled and tapped a hole into the triple clamp, and use an 8mm head bolt to hold the # plate on the other end. Works pretty good. No issues after several crashes already.

I wouldn't be drilling and tapping a triple clamp. They are a pretty highly stressed part.

I figured this out and installed one on my 09. You can put a little 6mm threaded hole on the top/front part of the top triple clamp to facilitate the number plate's top mount hole...no issues with structural integrity of the clamp. You can also lose the speedo drive lower fork protector by purchasing an 06-07 YZ-450F version (just the one needed). I'd recommend OEM as the quality of the plastic is substantially better. The speedo drive can be replaced with a new spacer (~ $25).

Figured I'll be leaving the 2012 as is as at some point I may want to to try and get a plate for this thing...we'll see.

The speedo drive can be replaced with a new spacer (~ $25).

Not so simple on the 2012s. The seal is built into the ODO drive and there is no room for the seal in the wheel casting like on a YZ wheel.

A YZ fender won't fit a WR due to the coolant boil off bottle. I have removed mine.

Does anyone know how much lighter YZ fenders are than WRs ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I know I had to do a little trimming on YZF rear fender, to fit the coolant bottle, but I fit them fine on my 06 and 09,

A YZ rear fender is surprisingly much lighter than the WR. At least on my 06 and my 09. Really noticeable when holding one in each hand at the same time. I guess they beef it up for the light and coolant bottle.

Since the frame is a 250F on a 12, do you use a YZ250F rear fender?

I also used the Flatlands ODO Spacer. It worked great. However, I missed having the ODO and later put it back on. I just removed the lights and made a black screen for the hole. It ended up looking pretty mean. I have pics posted of that.

Edited by Bandit9

A YZ rear fender is surprisingly much lighter than the WR. At least on my 06 and my 09. Really noticeable when holding one in each hand at the same time. I guess they beef it up for the light and coolant bottle.

How much lighter ?

You can tell that the plastic is lighter, but I've never taken mine off. Could you weigh yours ?