YZ number plate and rear fender on 2012 WR450

20 replies to this topic
  • waltersobchak

Posted February 10, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Are these simple bolt ons? Has anyone done this?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 05, 2013 - 12:09 PM

This article talks about doing it.

http://www.nxtbook.c...=74#/75/OnePage

For some reason they felt they had to change the triple clamps to do it.   Me, I would have saved the $300 and made a bracket to adapt the YZ number plate to the WR triple clamps.   FYI, some jurisdictions require a front light in order to run on public trails.

• waltersobchak

Posted August 05, 2013 - 04:25 PM

I got my headlight off. Used a battery bracket off of a XT225. The dealership i support figured out this little bracket works really well. Its an L shaped bracket that has threaded holes on each end. Drilled and tapped a hole into the triple clamp, and use an 8mm head bolt to hold the # plate on the other end. Works pretty good. No issues after several crashes already.

• Jnave

Posted September 29, 2013 - 10:29 AM

The YX number plate is pretty easy to put on, mine is held in place with a couple zipties and i havemt had any problems. You have to remove the speedo/stock computer and the mounting brackets though. photo_2_2.jpg

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 29, 2013 - 02:53 PM

I did mine as well.

Janve: what did you do with the wiring that was/is behind the plate ?

• Jnave

Posted September 29, 2013 - 08:16 PM

All the wires are still there, i just wrapped all the wires together with electrical tape and packed them as neatly as i could behind the number plate. As long as the YZ number plate is on there you cant see any of the wires. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 30, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I got my headlight off. Used a battery bracket off of a XT225. The dealership i support figured out this little bracket works really well. Its an L shaped bracket that has threaded holes on each end. Drilled and tapped a hole into the triple clamp, and use an 8mm head bolt to hold the # plate on the other end. Works pretty good. No issues after several crashes already.

I wouldn't be drilling and tapping a triple clamp. They are a pretty highly stressed part.

• JDLowrance

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I figured this out and installed one on my 09. You can put a little 6mm threaded hole on the top/front part of the top triple clamp to facilitate the number plate's top mount hole...no issues with structural integrity of the clamp. You can also lose the speedo drive lower fork protector by purchasing an 06-07 YZ-450F version (just the one needed). I'd recommend OEM as the quality of the plastic is substantially better. The speedo drive can be replaced with a new spacer (~ $25).

Figured I'll be leaving the 2012 as is as at some point I may want to to try and get a plate for this thing...we'll see.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 30, 2013 - 10:41 AM

The speedo drive can be replaced with a new spacer (~ $25).

Not so simple on the 2012s. The seal is built into the ODO drive and there is no room for the seal in the wheel casting like on a YZ wheel.

A YZ fender won't fit a WR due to the coolant boil off bottle. I have removed mine.

Does anyone know how much lighter YZ fenders are than WRs ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 30, 2013 - 10:43 AM.

• JDLowrance

Posted September 30, 2013 - 11:40 AM

There is an aftermarket wheel space available for ~ $25 that allows you to remove the speedo drive gear. I've used it. It is that simple.

Edited by JDLowrance, September 30, 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 30, 2013 - 11:43 AM

There is an aftermarket wheel space available for ~ $25 that allows you to remove the speedo drive gear. I've used it. It is that simple.

I only know of this one for $70.
http://www.rainesrac...89/Default.aspx

Which one did you use ?

• JDLowrance

Posted September 30, 2013 - 11:48 AM

http://flatlandracin...ter Eliminators

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 30, 2013 - 02:39 PM

http://flatlandracin...ter Eliminators

Thanks

• Jnave

Posted September 30, 2013 - 04:21 PM

I used the flatland racing speedo spacer as well. works great and its fairly inexpensive 

• Bandit9

Posted October 05, 2013 - 04:39 AM

I know I had to do a little trimming on YZF rear fender, to fit the coolant bottle, but I fit them fine on my 06 and 09,

A YZ rear fender is surprisingly much lighter than the WR. At least on my 06 and my 09. Really noticeable when holding one in each hand at the same time. I guess they beef it up for the light and coolant bottle.

Since the frame is a 250F on a 12, do you use a YZ250F rear fender?

I also used the Flatlands ODO Spacer. It worked great. However, I missed having the ODO and later put it back on. I just removed the lights and made a black screen for the hole. It ended up looking pretty mean. I have pics posted of that.

Edited by Bandit9, October 05, 2013 - 04:48 AM.

• Bandit9

Posted October 05, 2013 - 04:44 AM

Those 4 holes are for the Trick Dual Sport Kit. I drilled some tiny holes with zip ties to hole the black mesh in place. Looks a little 70's muscle car to me.

image.jpg

Edited by Bandit9, October 05, 2013 - 04:47 AM.

• Bandit9

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:05 AM

When running a number plate, I also had to fab a little bracket for the On/Off switch to make the plate work.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:33 AM

A YZ rear fender is surprisingly much lighter than the WR. At least on my 06 and my 09. Really noticeable when holding one in each hand at the same time. I guess they beef it up for the light and coolant bottle.

How much lighter ?

You can tell that the plastic is lighter, but I've never taken mine off. Could you weigh yours ?

• Bandit9

Posted October 05, 2013 - 09:05 AM

I don't have it anymore and the one on my 09 is the stocker now.

It is much lighter, trust me. Maybe even 2lbs if I had to guess.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 05, 2013 - 07:10 PM

I don't have it anymore and the one on my 09 is the stocker now.

It is much lighter, trust me. Maybe even 2lbs if I had to guess.

I doubt its 2 pounds, but I agree its probably a lot lighter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.