2011 YZ450F

4 replies to this topic
  • xXNewfie709Xx

Posted February 10, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hey guys,

My friend is looking at grabbing this 2011 YZ450F for a real good price but he would want to make it street legal here in Canada. Has anyone ever made a YZ street legal here? And if so what kit would you recomend? I seen one at http://www.bajadesig...ort-kits/yamaha that looks nice but it mentions something about the stator called stator rewind. What does that mean? Would there be antying else he would need to know before he buys this bike? Thanks alot!

• wweagleflyer

Posted February 10, 2013 - 04:52 PM

I am sure you will get much more knowledgeable answers than I can give here on the forum, but I can tell you what the stator rewind is. The stator is part of the magneto which generates electric current for the ignition system. For motocross bikes like yours, the magneto is designed to be light and provides only the electric power needed to run the engine's ignition system. For a street legal bike, you need enough power to run a head light and a brake/tail light at a minimum. In order to provide this added power, the stator in your magneto (the flywheel with magnets is the rotor part of the magneto) will need to get rewound with the insulated conductor (called magnet wire) so that there are more turns in the winding (which generates more current). So rewinding the stator means that you have to remove and then rewind the coils of wire on the stator so that your bike will generate enough electrical current to run the lights required to be street legal.

Scott

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xXNewfie709Xx

Posted February 10, 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am sure you will get much more knowledgeable answers than I can give here on the forum, but I can tell you what the stator rewind is. The stator is part of the magneto which generates electric current for the ignition system. For motocross bikes like yours, the magneto is designed to be light and provides only the electric power needed to run the engine's ignition system. For a street legal bike, you need enough power to run a head light and a brake/tail light at a minimum. In order to provide this added power, the stator in your magneto (the flywheel with magnets is the rotor part of the magneto) will need to get rewound with the insulated conductor (called magnet wire) so that there are more turns in the winding (which generates more current). So rewinding the stator means that you have to remove and then rewind the coils of wire on the stator so that your bike will generate enough electrical current to run the lights required to be street legal.

Scott

TY much, I never knew this.

• sergey

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:37 PM

No need to rewind anything, as 2011 yz450f stator already produces enough DC power to run everything required to make it street legal.

• atropine

Posted February 11, 2013 - 11:11 PM

The stator rewind was required for pre-2010 YZ's. As mentioned above, 2010-current YZ's have a much larger DC power output in order to run the fuel injection system. I think Baja Designs makes a plug and play wiring harness that plugs into the factory ECU harness and runs to both a handlebar switch and a lead to plug into one of their LED headlights. The switch has to be off while starting the bike due to the large power consumption necessary to start the bike initially. Once the bike is running, the power consumption is much less and the headlight switch can then be turned on. Not sure if anyone has wired one up to run turn signals and taillight/brakelight/horn, but I would sure think it is possible.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.