Valve clearance

2 replies to this topic
  • PerazzMX

Posted February 10, 2013 - 03:36 PM

I noticed from a quick review of a '11 WR450F svc manual that valve clearances, when they need adjusting, require the removal of the camshafts and replacement of shims. Looks like a PITA. How often is this required? Is it common to just check the clearances and seldom/never need to do this?

Considering a '12 WRF or a '12 XC-W, narrowing it down pretty soon. Any info appreciated. Thx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted February 10, 2013 - 04:29 PM

I noticed from a quick review of a '11 WR450F svc manual that valve clearances, when they need adjusting, require the removal of the camshafts and replacement of shims. Looks like a PITA. How often is this required? Is it common to just check the clearances and seldom/never need to do this?

Considering a '12 WRF or a '12 XC-W, narrowing it down pretty soon. Any info appreciated. Thx

It can be a PITA, but a properly cared for WR shouldn't need adjusting too often.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but ANY modern high output 4 stroke motor has exactly the same procedure and requires removal of the cams for valve adjustments. So basically no matter which bike you buy, with very few exceptions, you'll do the same thing.

From most persons experiences, the WR will need fewer adjustments than a like maintained and ridden KTM will.

Edited by miweber929, February 10, 2013 - 04:30 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 11, 2013 - 05:05 AM

Checking the clearances isn't all that difficult to do, and isn't all that time consuming. But the very few times you need to adjust the valves will take more time & patience. I raced my WR450 HARD during our XC series in the 40 Expert division and checked them twice all year, and they never moved. And I've got over 200hrs on it. If you change the oil often, and don't ride on the rev-limiter all the time, the valves will stay in spec for a very, very long time.

OIL IS CHEAP, ENGINES AREN'T!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.