Oil Changes

8 replies to this topic
  • wwwired

Posted November 07, 2001 - 12:40 PM

Performing my first oil-change on a new 426. Can anyone attest to the necessity (or lack there of) to pull off and clean the oil strainer as the manual suggests?

• DOC

Posted November 07, 2001 - 01:14 PM

yeah, its a hassle and ive never seen anything in mine. My friends old 400 never had any debris in it after 2 years, and his new 426 is spotless after almost 1 year. We no longer remove the strainer. I think its there just as a precaution, if you happen to drop a hand full of stones down the filler by accident (on purpose?)

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: DOC ]

• chopperman

Posted November 07, 2001 - 01:37 PM

I am the proud owner of a '01 426 YZ. From my expeirence you want to take the extra 30 min. or so the first oil change to check the oil strainer in the frame. I only did it on my first oil change. I just rinsed it with gasoline. It was full of small silver metal particles. My understanding is this is very common on the 26 on initial break in.

• JBM

Posted November 07, 2001 - 01:55 PM

I would also check the frame strainer, but I would wait until your second or third oil change. You probably won't find anything in it but it's not too bad for the peace of mind. I didn't check mine for quite a while and when I did nothing was in it.

When you do it, it's easier to remove the bottom oil line that goes to right under the clutch basket. After you remove the bolt holding the line to the case it is much easier to get it off the nipple under the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted November 07, 2001 - 01:55 PM

Definitely clean or change the oil filter during the first few oil changes, it's likely to be full of metal bits at each change.

As for the strainer, I checked mine on my '01 after 3 or 4 rides and it was completely clean. Nothing at all in it, so I haven't checked it since.

• RichB

Posted November 07, 2001 - 05:12 PM

I just bought a used 01 426 about 2 weeks ago from someone who never bothered to check it. I was worried so I went and bought a deep well 24mm, took it apart, and found absolutely nothing. At least I have piece of mind now I guess.

One thing you probably should do if you haven't already is grease all the bearings (swing arm, steering etc). I checked all of them and some were starting to rust after less than a year of riding (in the desert).

The previous owner didn't realize that there's a grease shortage in Japan I guess.

• Fireball

Posted November 07, 2001 - 05:20 PM

I have been told that the strainer is there in case of catastrophic engine failure to keep metal from reaching the oil pump and being sent back through... making matters worse. Mine had nothing after a few oil changes and I never check anymore.

[ November 07, 2001: Message edited by: Fireball ]

• FASTFRANK

Posted November 08, 2001 - 05:34 AM

I JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAS CHECKED THAT STRAINER MY FIRST TWO OIL CHANGES ON MY 2001 426 AND HAVEN'T FOUND ANYTHING IN IT. NOW MAIN OIL FILTER WAS ANOTHER STORY QUITE A FEW METAL SHAVINGS BUT THAT IS EXPECTED AFTER DURING BREAK IN. I WON'T CHECK THE STRAINER ANYMORE FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF OIL CHANGES CUZ IT CUTS YOUR OIL CHANGE TIME IN HALF. :D :)

• mike_dean

Posted November 08, 2001 - 07:11 AM

I've have checked the strainer twice in my '00 426 and have not found anything in over 150hrs of hard riding. I'll still check it once a year or if I have a problem. mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.