2011 suspension

4 replies to this topic
  • mxstate

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:27 PM

I will also ask in the suspension forum but wanted to check here first.
I just got a 2011 450 and might need to change the springs.
Previous owner was 185 lb w/o gear and a fast A rider. He went downcone rate from sotck on both ends and a bit stiffer on valving
i rode the bike a few times and the shock feels OK sOk but I can't get in terms with the forks (very firm). i tyried several clickers adjsutment and it ended up better but still too harsh for me

For my level and age (46 tomorrw!), I just want a plush feeling (not mushy though)

I'm 205 w/o gear and C level, practice only on MX track
Would the stock sprting rate/ stock valving work for me?
I kept reading about how good the sotck stuff is and don't want ot go through too many valving experiments

Rear sag numbers are 110/25

Thanks for any feedback

Edited by mxstate, February 10, 2013 - 01:56 PM.

• Ringo25

Posted February 10, 2013 - 01:33 PM

You might. want to swap the spring to a stiffer one and try some softer valving. One step stiffer should do for the spring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe_Jet

Posted February 18, 2013 - 01:18 AM

im 165 and run the stock suspension. i firmed up the front and softened up the rear. i run my sag at 100. im guessing your sag is too low and you need stiffer springs to keep the suspension up in the plusher part of the stroke.

• rotax800

Posted February 18, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Stocksusp. is set for 180# rider. I'm 225 w/o gear and factory connection bumped me up one rate front and rear. No revalve and just a touch more oil, "stock oil is'nt as good as pig urine" in the forks. Nice and plush but still soaks the woops up. I'm 48, b class and love it. If you cant get the proper free sag with the spring thats on it, It'll never be right for you. FC was the best money i ever spent.

• mxstate

Posted February 18, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks all for the feedback
I can get my hands on a set F/R of stock springs.
I'll give this a shot since valving has been beefed up by previous owner

Might do the trick for me

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.