YZ mods and fixes

5 replies to this topic
  • wlfnvegas

Posted February 10, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Just got an '02 yz 426f for desert riding. Issue 1: can't get the starting drill down, and I'm too lazy to keep trying so I'm thinking a Hot Cam mod would be best? Issue 2: going downhill, the engine revs extremely high!....any thoughts on this? Issue 3: i'd like to out some passenger pegs on, just for those few times the chicks want to go for a ride.....cuz chicks dig bikes.....any ideas on a bolt on mod?

Other than that, she runs great! And I'm glad to be back riding dirt bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2013 - 12:45 PM

Elaborate on item 2.

• wlfnvegas

Posted February 26, 2013 - 04:33 PM

Going downhill (steep grade) hand off the throttle. The engine revs very high. Thought maybe it was me but others tried and got the same result.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Sounds like a carb issue, possibly in combination with an air leak or a tight intake valve. The bike is running too lean under normal conditions, and pointing it downhill puts the pilot jet in deeper fuel.

Probably also why you can't get the starting drill down. An incorrectly setup pilot circuit is probably the single biggest cause of hard starting on the 426.

• joaquin1296

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Check also the Hot-Starter. It happend to me on a YZ250F that it was too tight.

• Cwilliams08

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I have a '00 426, and my startup procedure is as follows.

Step 1: hold decompression lever and kick about 15 times. Nice full kicks.

Step 2: fully extend the kickstart, then let it come all the way back up.

Step 3: hold decompression, put kickstart down to about half mast, let it slowly come all the way back up

Step 4: give a good hard kick and you're running. Good luck with the 426!

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.