2013 RMZ? Or keep 2013 kx450?

10 replies to this topic
  • McWho

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I currently have a 2013 Kawasaki KX 450 F and I have had nothing but problems. it was back at the dealership with motor/ Electrical problems at only 11 hours and now 3 rides later same problem going back to the shop... 

This is not my first Kawasaki Previous models have been great I just think I got lemon.

I'm sick of it and need a change, so...

I want something new, either an RM Z 450 or maybe the Honda... I ride primarily of road and desert woods. I know that kawy is a great choice but I'm tired of fear ful problem.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the handling, longevity , & motor of the RM Z

• HOULEMOTO7

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ive had my 2012 for about 8 months now, I ride woods mainl, but do some motocross. In the tight single track ive never had a bike that turns and handles as good as this one. I just checked my valves today and all valves were still in specs, timing chain looked good and tight auto adjuster wasnt even half way used up.. Ive never had any motor problems , actually no problems at all. The bike always fires right up for me, and with the fi never have to think about jets again!! I love it..

• TommyB 754

Posted February 08, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I don't think your the only one to have problems with there 13' kx. I've only rode a 12' honda briefly and it was pretty easy to ride bike, I didn't ride it long though just a few mx laps, it was somewhat similar feeling to my rmz. Nothing on the cr stood out to me, other then the bars where too tall. I'm not sold on the air forks. I like the rm's because they have a shorter feel to them, good smooth useable power and really want to carve but are still stable at speed, if I didn't already have a damper i wouldn't have bothered putting one on. Mine is a 09 so it's a bit older, it has a lot of hours on it but it has proved to be a tough bike. The motor is deceptively strong, it doesn't feel like a powerhouse but the power is always there when you need to get around someone or over a obstacle. The suspension works pretty good offroad out of the box, i revalved it myself and now it works really good, just some simple shim stack adjustment did the trick. Not sure if you can get a tank for the new honda, but IMS makes a nice one for the rmz. The clutch needs some love, I ended my actuator arm 3/6" and msr ezpull lever for a lighter pull and most use heavy clutch springs to prevent slipage. I'll likely replace mine with a newer one but for now the it's still going strong and has gave me no reason to replace it. And did I mention how good it turns...

Edited by TommyB 754, February 08, 2013 - 10:09 PM.

• fracturezz

Posted February 10, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've had my 13 since November and have 5.1 hours on it. Its an amazing bike. With the couplers the motor is great and the handling is amazing! I would only get rid of it for the ktm. And just another added bonus Suzuki is having a promotion where you can get a yosh free. I've owned kawis they're great bikes but nothing handles like a zook! Either way whatever you do ride the wheels off of it!!!

• otlas

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:57 AM

First spinn yesterday on my -13, i can only discribe it as an amazing bike. I bleed yellow but it doesn´t mather to how great the bike feels.
Over here we are in the middle of the winter so the first run was on a mx track that the snow was plowed of from.
So keeping the line and nailing the ruts is very crucial. It was my first time on a bike for 5 months and i didn´t miss one line on the whole day and thats pretty amazing to me.
A Kawi guy on the track who also have a -13 450 said that he regrets his Kawi now. I don´t know if he has had the same problems as you, but his forks blew out after a couple of hours and i think he still has a set of -12 forks that he borrowed from kawi on his bike.
Buy one, you wont regret it. Ask Millsaps what he thinks of his production bike in his war against all factory bikes :-)

• McWho

Posted February 11, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the info guys this is all really helping me out.

The KX Was an awesome bike. I think 1 of the best handling and most powerful 450's I've had. no complaints at all with the air fort it works very well.

The bike is at the dealership now getting fixed. I have a feeling when he gets back it's going to be getting sold. bummer because its a great bike but I don't think I could continue to ride it without the fear of it failing and leaving me stranded.

• HOULEMOTO7

Posted February 11, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys this is all really helping me out.

The KX Was an awesome bike. I think 1 of the best handling and most powerful 450's I've had. no complaints at all with the air fort it works very well.

The bike is at the dealership now getting fixed. I have a feeling when he gets back it's going to be getting sold. bummer because its a great bike but I don't think I could continue to ride it without the fear of it failing and leaving me stranded.

You havent rode the zuk yet if your saying that the kawi is the best handiling.

• otlas

Posted February 11, 2013 - 11:48 PM

You havent rode the zuk yet if your saying that the kawi is the best handiling.

A zook with an aftermarket pipe is an real arm stretcher, the bike with a pipe is a rocketship with the best handling :-)

• Hoagie Rollz

Posted February 12, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Every thing I have read says the zook is amazing this year! Dirt rider, mx moto mag, forums, and just finished watching millsaps run away here in San Diego on it. I used to have an 06 rmz450 and am really want this 13 450. I have heard and read nothing but great things.

• skebstebamali

Posted February 15, 2013 - 02:11 AM

I have an 11 rmz. It's frigging amazing. The 13 with sff etc would be even better. I have a mate who is quick with a 2013 crf450 he is having issues with setup and lack of hp ..... Something to consider

• CHAPMX71

Posted February 17, 2013 - 12:47 PM

I heard the kx450 have nice power but are like turning a sled into the turns I rode a 2013 rmz 450 this week and loved it i have a 08 rmz 450 seems like everyone is gettting the kx450 at my local track but see a few new rmz450 showing up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.