2009 WR450 Which Street Legal Kit to buy

13 replies to this topic
  • TheCape

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:47 AM

So need help from the great WR riders out there. I am getting pressure from all my fellow riders to street legal my WR so we can just take off from the house and hit the hills. Which this idea is awesome after doing some research I am not sure which kit would work best. There are so many out there. I want small lights because where i ride they are semi tight trails and I have been know to ride a bit to fast in these areas and crash at least once a trip :ride: If any of you have any photos of your upgrades to a street legal WR so I can see what it looks like that would be Great.

thanks so much for all your help

• crash279

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:52 AM

No kit required. Your bike comes almost ready to go in stock form. You just need a hydraulic brake switch, headlight switch, and some wire.

This might help you out:
http://www.supermoto...ad.php?t=134832

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 05, 2013 - 11:44 AM

No kit required. Your bike comes almost ready to go in stock form. You just need a hydraulic brake switch, headlight switch, and some wire.

This might help you out:
http://www.supermoto...ad.php?t=134832

It depends on your states requirements.

Some states require a head and tailight that stay on with the motor off, a mirror, DOT tires, Turn indicators, a Lighting inspection, and a VIN inspection.

BAJA DESIGNS makes the best parts and kits.

• kawi380

Posted February 05, 2013 - 02:06 PM

In AZ my street legal version is almost no different from the factory setup :p . We are only required a horn, mirror, taillight/brake light, head light, and dot tires.

Posted Image

My old man lives in Utah and we just streeted his 08klx450r. We used the rockymountianatv kit. It took about 2 hours to install and seems to be working fine after being installed for only a few months.

• TheCape

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yeah I live in Utah so they need to have signals one mirror and the list goes on. I dont mind getting it set up just want as little sticking out so when I do crash not when lol I wont have to be replacing every thing every ride. Green River and Moab have no forgivness for a light when I crash haha.

Thanks so far for the photos and input :applause:

• supastipa

Posted February 05, 2013 - 06:46 PM

rocky mountain ATV/MC makes a pretty good kit under their "Tusk" in-house brand. Good price too.

http://www.rockymoun...ro-Lighting-Kit

• dustdogg

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have the Tusk kit on my '07 and have been very pleased with it. It has the small LED turn signals that are low profile and seem to be very bright although they aren't actually DOT approved. The only thing that I didn't like was the mirror, which was almost useless and I ditched it after the first ride. I run the Airtime HID headlight with its own switch so I didn't run it through the Tusk switch, but everything else is hooked up and works great, even the horn!!. Other than that, for the price you can't go wrong. The Baja Designs kit is very nice but a lot more expensive with old school turn signals although they are DOT approved. You can't go wrong with either kit, it really depends on your budget and what your looking for.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by dustdogg, February 05, 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TheCape

Posted February 07, 2013 - 04:13 PM

Looks like it's going to be a tusk kit for the WR. Just need it to get it down to the coffee shop for some quick breakfast then off to the mountains. No real need for a keyed switch . Thanks for every ones help. Looks like my friends at Rockies mountain will be getting some more cash haha

• Baja Designs

Posted February 08, 2013 - 02:35 PM

We offer 10% off to thumper talk members :)
If you have any questions about our kits please feel free to ask

Thanks
Mike

• TheCape

Posted February 08, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Perfect thanks so much Baja design. I will be giving you a call. Was worried I would have to change the headlight assembly and tail light assembly. I like the way it looks now was hoping I could keep the same design just different bulb for the front head light and a different led tail light but still looks like OEM

Thanks

• ktm828

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Just bolt it on fool

• miweber929

Posted February 10, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Perfect thanks so much Baja design. I will be giving you a call. Was worried I would have to change the headlight assembly and tail light assembly. I like the way it looks now was hoping I could keep the same design just different bulb for the front head light and a different led tail light but still looks like OEM

Thanks

You can, it's called a Tusk brand kit and uses you stock Yamaha headlight.

Search around here a bit as this has been beaten to death and there is a ton of great info already written. But basically if you take stuff apart you'll see Yamaha has a high/low headlight and headlight socket as well as a rear running/brake light bulb and socket already in the bike, it just doesn't have any wiring into either additional circuit. The Tusk kit will have all needed switches, harnesses and connectors; either use their led taillight or splice into your stock one using their wiring for a completely streamlined look.

All this said every state is different regarding legalities, however. All require DOT lights and tires, but only some inspect for them. Here in Minnesota it's an honor system and therefore open to interpretation, I personally run a DOT rear tire, the Tusk turn signals (not required here), Tusk brake light and the stock headlight. When my front tire finally goes, I'll replace it with a DOT one.

So do some searching, DOT regs are not bike model specific and know what you need. The plus about Baja Designs is their setup is DOT approved. But their cost reflects that. I just wanted the ability to play anywhere in the woods without hassle so DOT wasn't a deal breaker to me but cost was at the time.

Edited by miweber929, February 10, 2013 - 06:36 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 10, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I've tried them all. The ONLY one that lasts more than a year or so is the Baja Designs.
I've had BD kit's on my WR450, CRF450X, XR650R. I've had Tusk, Electro, and CDS on my other WR, XR, and CRF's, and they all fell apart. Cheap harnesses, cheap connectors, etc.

• Baja Designs

Posted February 11, 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thanks

Yes I agree to oem headlight looks good. We do have a version that maintains the stock headlight and gets hi/lo

Thanks
Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.