Which valve shim to use...

2 replies to this topic
  • cereal killer

Posted February 04, 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm in the middle of a valve adjustment, and I'm wondering about which shim to use when I seem to be in between sizes. I think being on the tight side of "in-spec" is better than loose, but maybe I'm over thinking it.

The valve in question had .087mm clearance (should be .1-.15) and a 182 shim under the bucket (I presume from the factory). The manual says to round the 182 to 180 and then use the chart to find the recommended replacement. It suggests 175.

But when I do the math, this would put me at .157... .007 over spec. Whereas if I used a 180, that should put me at .107. - just barely within the standard clearance.

So should I:
1. Listen to the manual and go slightly looser than the recommended clearance.
2. Use the 180 to stay within the recommended range.
3. Find something else to worry about since we're talking about 100ths of millimetres.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2013 - 04:11 PM

First, .007mm is .00027". NO ONE can accurately measure the difference between .157 and .150 with a feeler gauge. I know the gauge says that on it, but really?

Second, tighter is better, and .107 is in spec, so go that way.

In the end, the whole of the specified clearance range, .10-.15mm, is only .002" wide, so more often than not, the concern over which end of it to be closer to is indeed overthinking.

• cereal killer

Posted February 04, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Gray!

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.