Which synthetic oil to use

24 replies to this topic
  • ckny

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Here's what I don't understand about this comment. Redline uses the best oil base stock known to man currently and typically uses a higher percentage of additives than anyone else. It's a win win in my book. I have years and years of practical experience with Redline oils and can't b happier on the reliability and longevity. I'm not saying that other oils won't give good results. I just like to go with a proven top quality oil. Why take a chance?

If it works, keep using it.
There is a reason I like Maxima oils..

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Here's what I don't understand about this comment. Redline uses the best oil base stock known to man currently and typically uses a higher percentage of additives than anyone else. It's a win win in my book. I have years and years of practical experience with Redline oils and can't b happier on the reliability and longevity. I'm not saying that other oils won't give good results. I just like to go with a proven top quality oil. Why take a chance?

Both M1 motorcycle oils and the Amsoil products I named are in fact proven, both in the lab (by a competitor, in Mobil's case), and in practical application, to my complete satisfaction. The top 50% of Maxima's line has done well, too. The statement regarding Red Line's base stock is arguable.

I have apart right now an '06 YZ450 with God knows how many hours on it (I know the bike, a conservative guess would be 500) that blew a head gasket and was run dry for so long that it literally started to melt the combustion chamber dome between the exhaust seats. Both seats were so badly distorted by heat that they had to be cut too deep and had to be replaced. The top ring groove of the piston collapsed on the ring, pinching it in place, but the skirt did not seize. Not one single lubricated part of the engine suffered ANY damage on any bearing surface. None.

What chance am I taking, exactly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted February 21, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Both M1 motorcycle oils and the Amsoil products I named are in fact proven, both in the lab (by a competitor, in Mobil's case), and in practical application, to my complete satisfaction. The top 50% of Maxima's line has done well, too. The statement regarding Red Line's base stock is arguable.

I have apart right now an '06 YZ450 with God knows how many hours on it (I know the bike, a conservative guess would be 500) that blew a head gasket and was run dry for so long that it literally started to melt the combustion chamber dome between the exhaust seats. Both seats were so badly distorted by heat that they had cut too deep and had to be replaced. The top ring groove of the piston collapsed on the ring, pinching it in place, but the skirt did not seize. Not one single lubricated part of the engine suffered ANY damage on any bearing surface. None.

What chance am I taking, exactly?

Redlines base stock is arguable? U still amaze me! I can remember when you argued the Rekluse and now you use one.

Edited by Gunner354, February 21, 2013 - 05:45 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2013 - 06:45 PM

The superiority of it is, yes.

• KJ790

Posted February 22, 2013 - 08:39 AM

I feel that no oil will guarantee that you will not have any problems. In my opinion it is better to change the oil often regardless of whether it has fallen out of viscocity range or not. The simple reason is that sometimes things fail and you can catch the problem before catastrophic failure with a simple oil change. If you are changing your oil often then pretty much any oil will work. I like Maxima myself, but Amsoil, Mobil, and Red Line are also good oils. I ran a series of personal oil tests last year with various oil types using Blackstone labs to do the analysis. Shell Rotella 15-40 (dino) oil actually held up remarkably well, better than the Rotella T6 full synthetic. Yamalube was the worst of the oils I tested, it had fallen out of viscocity range in less than 2 hours of riding.

Not too long ago I split the cases on a bike that the owner had always run Amsoil in, I had to replace everything. One of the tranny gears had lost a tooth at some point and the metal got ground up into all of the other transmission gears. Since the owner ran amsoil, he felt it was not necessary to change the oil very often. It looked like it had been run with metal in the oil for a long time, required around $1400 worth of parts. I feel as though a more frequent oil change schedule could have caught the problem sooner and reduced the damage to the rest of the engine. No oil will protect an engine for long when something breaks inside.

Edited by KJ790, February 22, 2013 - 08:49 AM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.