what should water temp be

2 replies to this topic
  • rotax800

Posted February 03, 2013 - 03:54 PM

2011 yz450. Running ice. Taped off one whole radiator. So i figured i needed to find out what temp was running so i wire tied my tuner to the cross bar and set it for monitor. worked great and i'm glad i did cause after a good warm up and about 7 laps flat out it was only running 106 degrees. So i taped off ALL but the outside louver on BOTH rads. 7 laps later, 130 degrees. One more piece of tape and now i briefly saw 156 degrees. now thats both radiators completely covered except for one outside louver. I'm more comfortable with that # and it actually ran stronger. Its almost all stock on the fuel/timing map.
So the big Question is, What temp should i be shooting for? I never would have guessed it was running that cold and once the word went around everybody was adding more duct tape and watching too see if they were blowing antifreeze. I mean, what temps do they run in summer? and what range am i looking for?
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2013 - 04:01 PM

The engine will run the best with the coolant temps in the range of 120-180. Summer temps range around 200-240, which is OK. 50/50 coolant mixes boil at about 265-270 with a 1.1 bar cap.

• rotax800

Posted February 03, 2013 - 04:33 PM

The engine will run the best with the coolant temps in the range of 120-180. Summer temps range around 200-240, which is OK. 50/50 coolant mixes boil at about 265-270 with a 1.1 bar cap.

Thank you, now i have a reference. Appreciate it
Tim

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.