Mystery Oil Port at Base of Cylinder - 2006 YZ 450F

4 replies to this topic
  • wweagleflyer

Posted February 03, 2013 - 09:52 AM

I am hoping someone can help me answer a question I have about an oil port on the 2006 YZ450F. In the attached photo, there is an oil port that leads to the base of the cylinder (upper right part of the picture), but then the port is blocked by the base of the cylinder and dead ends. This port is fed by the mating surface (lower right part of the picture), where the flow has two circuits - one to feed the transmission shafts via a cross drilled hole, and the second appears to dead end at the cylinder base. Does anyone know what the purpose of this second port is?

Thanks

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• OilPort.png

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2013 - 03:47 PM

The one at the cylinder base pumps oil up around the head bolt to the camshafts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wweagleflyer

Posted February 03, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Thanks grayracer513. That makes perfect sense now. I wasn't thinking of the head bolt cavity doubling as an oil passage.
Since you seem to be knowledgable of the inner workings of these engines, let me try two more questions:

1. In tha attached photo, what is the purpose of the machined feature pointed out? Nothing mates with it and it seems to be a carry over from a previous engine design.

2. The service manual calls for molybdenum disulfide oil in a number places (e.g. valve stems, cylinder bolt threads) and molybdenum grease in other places. I have not been able to find molybdenum disulfide oil anywhere, and the local yamaha dealer shop says they just use motor oil instead of what the manual calls out. Has anyone else tried to find the oil that the factory manual calls for? Is it really that important to be used where called for? If overused, do you need to be concerned about fouling the clutch friction plates?

Thanks again,

Scott

Attached Thumbnails

• MachinedFeature.png

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2013 - 10:22 PM

1) That socket accepts the electric starter idler gear shaft. If you change the crank axle and buy enough parts, the e-start can be bolted to your crankcases.

2) Use a product called assembly lube, usually sold as a grease in a smallish tube, but only for extreme pressure points like cam lobes, and then don't over use it. For all other assembly purposes, use your ordinary motor oil.

• wweagleflyer

Posted February 04, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Thanks again grayracer513. That is good information.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.