post pictures of modded airbox covers

15 replies to this topic
  • yamahasocal450

Posted November 23, 2003 - 09:58 AM

i just looked at mine really closely and saw theres about half an inch to a quarter or an inch of space above the lip on the air duct, so i think im going to try and fabricate a new holder or use some of the stock lid to allow more airflow thanks guys :D :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 24, 2003 - 04:48 AM

Man, the internet rules!!!!!!!

You asked for it you got it......

Posted Image

• Merfman

Posted November 24, 2003 - 07:59 AM

Dan,

That's exactly what I was planning on doing to my new 450.
Did you notice any seat-of-the pants diff? Did you
drill out the other side too? If so, how much richer
did you have to go?

Just wondering... I've yet to make a single mod to my WR..

Merf

• BigDesto

Posted November 24, 2003 - 08:19 AM

Check these!
Posted Image

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 24, 2003 - 08:44 AM

Merf, I'll be completly honest with you.. I didn't really feel a big difference with the mod.. My father did this to his bike and I stole the cover right off of it :) .Since I've had it on the bike I have not changed the jetting.. My bike runs absolutly perfect with stock jetting... No bogs, No backfires and Can't stall the bike... You might as well do it, you can get those little air holes at any shop and the only tool you'll need is a hole saw..

Good luck Merf!!!

Dan

Mike, When you look at you bike close up it looks red.... :D That's a pretty nice vent.. The guys at Honda make a pretty cool one for their XR's also.

• Merfman

Posted November 24, 2003 - 08:54 AM

Desto, is that a stock or aftermarket setup?

Dan, I found the plugs here on TTalk store. I ordered 'em
last week (they aren't here yet, if anyone is listening!)
and thought I'd give it a try. So far, my jetting seems a
little rich, but hey, I'm at 6K feet.

Thanks for posting the pix gents!

Merf

• BigDesto

Posted November 24, 2003 - 10:06 AM

I just Pmd the guy who has them on his Honda!! I tried looking for them but no luck! :)

• Treebanger

Posted November 24, 2003 - 11:35 AM

I just installed a new battery bracket this past weekend. Stainless steel CNC routed, opened up both sides of the airbox and also added more at the rear . If you look closely at the battery you will notice that the airbox is about 1 1/2" wider than the battery . Basicly look at the factory battery holder, its all one peice and fills the top of your airbox /Answer for better airflow is new battery holder

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • endurodog

Posted November 24, 2003 - 11:40 AM

pastabout 1 1/2" wider than the battery . Basicly look at the factory battery holder, its all one peice and fills the top of your airbox /Answer for better airflow is new battery holder

This is a great help to the air flow but the weak link then would still be where the air is coming from. The only place for air to get to the top of the air box is from the Right side hand hold on the number plate. With the side holes in the air box you get to increase the usable air by the size of your holes

• mtrablue

Posted November 24, 2003 - 01:39 PM

cut out the section on the left side panel that matches the right. it is not designed as a hand hold so you might want to glue some sort of screen on the back side to keep other people from trying to move the bike with it.
air does come in from the back of the seat/fender area. there is an area at the back of the air box that can be opened up also. it's the area that is kind of a void between the air box and the rear fender. you'll still have to work on the air inlet on the air box top to take advantage of this. be careful when you wash you bike!
i think indy did a few posts on this. he might give us a link to them if he's checking this out.
the little round black inserts are fron uni filter.
it's all these little details that make these bikes so great.

• endurodog

Posted November 24, 2003 - 02:00 PM

cut out the section on the left side panel that matches the right

This is what I did, all though I have been told it looks like crap, guess I'm not an artist with the dremel tool. I then cut 2 holes in the back of the air box, 1 on either side.

air does come in from the back of the seat/fender area

There is very little air flow from this area. The only major air flow when stock is via the hand holds. The side panels, seat, and rear fender pretty much close this area off.

On my YZ250 the rear fender where it meets the seat has some raised area to allow some air through. On the WR this area between seat and rear fender meets pretty snuggly.

• yamahasocal450

Posted November 24, 2003 - 02:11 PM

i just got done modding it, all i did was take the airbox cover with battery holder off, took the dremel cut the back half off and left the little wings on the side on so it can rest on the lips of the airbox so now hte whole back (from the back of the battery to the back of the airbox is open, my only complaint now is that the bottom of the battery tray still covers the top of the airbox, i think i might rig a steel holder and raise it up 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch because theres still some room between the battery and the seat, randy hawkins also drills 3 or 2 holes in the right airbox cover and sticks a ttr225 powerfilter in there (in between the actual airbox and the cover, fits pretty snugly :)

• Lukejt

Posted November 24, 2003 - 05:01 PM

:)

Now all you guys need are some 12v cold cathode tubes to make em glow :D

• kywr450r

Posted November 25, 2003 - 10:27 AM

Here is a neat "airbox" solution if you have an extra $70. Don't know if you get one or two, but they are billet... :)

http://www.off-road....wr450f/2003_10/

• msgbean

Posted November 26, 2003 - 09:50 AM

Here are some pics of what I did.

• yamaharichey

Posted November 26, 2003 - 11:31 AM

MSGBEAN, wow you really opened it up, did you notice any diffrence in performace? I'am guessing your filter get dirty faster.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.