Strange Engine Number

4 replies to this topic
  • wrpete

Posted February 03, 2013 - 02:15 AM

Have just started to do a rebuild on a 1999 Wr 400. Was having a look at the engine number today and it doesnt look like a yamaha number. A bit of reserch and it seems the number should be along the lines of H309E###### yet mine is FJC465969###. It is stamped on the top of the righ hand engine case. This is also stamped on the back of the head. Could someone with more yamaha knowledge than me enlighten me as to what may be going on with these numbers.
Thanks
Pete

• allterra

Posted February 11, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I would think an e-mail to any Tami dealer would tel you what they mean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Do I Care?

Posted February 12, 2013 - 01:00 AM

Maybe not relavant for the engine number but this may help???
For a Part Number in the format XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The first three digits are the Model Code (every model in the Yamaha Product Line has a unique model number) all parts are given a Model Code of the first model they were used on.

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The middle five digits are the Basic Code number and indicates the actual part, i.e. 11631 = piston; 11311 = cylinder, etc.
A "W" substituted in the first position of this five-digit group (000-W0000-00-00) indicates a factory assembled kit which differs in content from the original assembly used in production (i.e. 2M0-W0046-00-00 – Rear Break Pad Ass’y).

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The next two digits are the Design Code and Design Change digits (so 01 means the part has had one design change). This part may or may not appear different, but it will be interchangeable with the original part.

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The last two digits are the Color or Finish Code.
.................................................................................................................................................

For a Part Number in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XX

All these parts are Hardware (fasteners), they all start with a '9' and end in '00'.
The second and third digits tells us what type of fastener:

0 - 'various'
1 - bolts, cotter pins
2 - screws, nuts
3 - oil seals, O-rings, bearings
4 - spark plugs
5 - bolts, nuts
6 - ISO bolts
7 - ISO screws and nuts

The fourth and fifth digits tell us what material/surface finish (e.g. chromed).
Digits six and seven give the diameter (inner or outer) e.g. 08 would be an M8 size.
Digits eight, nine and ten are the length (except for '901' bolts for some reason)
There are also standard fastener types...e.g.

90105-XXXXX are Washer based bolts
90116-XXXXX are Studs
90401-XXXXX are Union bolts
99999-XXXXX means that a part has been superceded by a kit.

Edited by Barra8, February 12, 2013 - 01:08 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 12, 2013 - 02:47 AM

Thanks Barra! Very, very informative!!! :thumbsup:

• Do I Care?

Posted February 12, 2013 - 03:49 AM

Thanks Barra! Very, very informative!!! :thumbsup:

Anytime :thumbsup:
Glad it helps

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.