08 yz450f carb/ float bowl question

8 replies to this topic
  • WILLIAMS37

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I can never leave well enough alone and decided to replace the diaphragm in my accelerator pump, after
putting the float bowl back onto the carb I realized that I have no idea how this thing came apart. It took
some wiggling and nudging and it finally popped into place. The bike fired right up but being the good
neighbor that I am, I didn't let it run long or open the throttle at all. The problem is when the bike shut off
the gas started leaking from one of the carb hoses.

I searched the manual and TT with no luck on exactly how to fit the float bowl back onto the carb body.
I checked the float function, (when pushed up doesn't leak, when let down drains gas) but I don't know
why its sticking in the first place. It moves with no resistance when I have the bowl off.

The only thing I can think of is the alignment from this brass (needle?) Is it supposed to go into something?
Does it go into the yellow/off-white plastic piece in center of carb? Just wanted to hear some advice before
I go back down and put it back together.

Here is the needle I am referring to
Posted Image
And this is the yellow/off-white plastic piece
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:53 AM

The brass standpipe is simply a limiter for how high the float level is allowed to get before it overflows from the drain hose at the center of the float bowl. It doesn't connect to anything inside the carb, just runs up in between things. If the carb overflows, it is for one of 3 reasons:
  • The float is sticking or binding because of incorrect assembly, damage, dirt, gunk, or contact with some other part of the carb in the bowl.
  • Level is set too high.
  • The float needle is worn, damaged, or more likely, just dirty.
Most commonly, it's dirt on the needle seat. The dirt doesn't have to be big, in fact it may not even be visible. It just has to keep the needle up off the seat. With the bowl opened up, and all sources of ignition removed from the area, turn the gas on and let it runs out past the float needle for a second or two, then try again. That may be all it takes.

• WILLIAMS37

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks gray, I was hoping you would chime in on this. Just sprayed everything down with car cleaner and a shop towel, gonna give it another shot. Just didn't know if I was missing something to do with that brass post.

• Do I Care?

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks gray, I was hoping you would chime in on this. Just sprayed everything down with car cleaner and a shop towel, gonna give it another shot. Just didn't know if I was missing something to do with that brass post.

As suggested the brass ''needle'' is the overflow. It just slips up into a hole in the carb. I'm sure if you tried fitting this it would become apparent as to what hole it slots into.

It could be dirty needle & seat..Some have an unseen filter above the needle (inside carby fill line) so blowing it out with an air compressor after removing the float will make sure it's clean.
If the float level is too high as old mate says it will flood- usually only needs adjusting if you bump the float.

The obvious thing with carbs is that the fuel should shut off when the float is level with the carby body.
To check the float level....
To check this attatch the fuel line & remove the bowl. Now lift the float......Does it shut off level with the carb??? If not adjust until it does. Easy.

Edited by Barra8, January 31, 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WILLIAMS37

Posted February 01, 2013 - 12:03 AM

This time I got a nice reassuring "click" sound when everything was lined up, tightened it up and it started on the 3rd kick. The whole reason I tore it down in the first place was to replace the diaphraghm in the accelerator pump, but does anyone know why there are 3 different part numbers with varying thickness for the yz450f? or what affect having a thicker or thinner diaphraghm means to the engine characteristics?

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:33 AM

As suggested the brass ''needle'' is the overflow. It just slips up into a hole in the carb. I'm sure if you tried fitting this it would become apparent as to what hole it slots into.

It wasn't a suggestion, and it doesn't "slot into" any hole.

This time I got a nice reassuring "click" sound when everything was lined up, tightened it up and it started on the 3rd kick. The whole reason I tore it down in the first place was to replace the diaphraghm in the accelerator pump, but does anyone know why there are 3 different part numbers with varying thickness for the yz450f? or what affect having a thicker or thinner diaphraghm means to the engine characteristics?

The diaphragms are different as to the length of the stop button on the bottom. This button limits the travel of the AP plunger, and thereby controls the maximum volume delivered with each full shot from the pump. That in turn translates into controlling the duration of the AP squirt. Alternative button lengths are selected when the tuner wants to change the squirt duration. It's important to understand that you can have either too much or too little duration, and bigger ain't always better.

• Do I Care?

Posted February 01, 2013 - 10:46 PM

................................................................................................

It wasn't a suggestion, and it doesn't "slot into" any hole.
.....................................................................................................
How do you figure. That pin is well past the top of the float bowl so it's quite obvious it slots into a hole in the carb. Like any other carb.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2013 - 07:24 AM

No, it doesn't and it's not a pin, is a pipe. The carb body has the top 50% of the float bowl cast into it, an area large enough to house the entire float assembly. The right side float has some extra clearance cast in so that the standpipe can extend up into the space between the float and the pilot jet boss. Doesn't fit up into any hole.

Posted Image

• Do I Care?

Posted February 03, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Yes well that's better :thumbsup: Makes more sense.

I knew it had to slot into a hole or gap whether it's a hole or gap/pin or pipe is'nt that relavant though ;) .

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.