My First WR450F Build!

Yamaha WR450F Miscellaneous Supermoto Yamaha WR450F 2003

87 replies to this topic
  • xXNewfie709Xx

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:11 AM

The pillow top grips are by far my favorite grips i have used. I find they help cut down on vibration and feel real comfortable on the hands.

• Krimble

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:29 AM

The pillow top grips are by far my favorite grips i have used. I find they help cut down on vibration and feel real comfortable on the hands.

Thanks for the review! I can't wait until this bike is done, but not really either. I'm having fun right now building it. :D

• allterra

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Nice job documenting your build it is looking good. Enjoy

• Krimble

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:12 PM

Nice job documenting your build it is looking good. Enjoy

Thanks! I just polished my exhaust and painted the end cap bolts red.
Posted Image

• bg22

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Nice job. I just picked up an 03 from a friend. Plated and tagged ready for some dual sporting. It needs a few things but I can't wait to get this thing on the road.

• Krimble

Posted March 10, 2013 - 09:51 AM

A small update for you folks.
Picked this up at the dealer Yesterday.
Posted Image

Me and a friend had to cut the top steering stem bearing race with a Dremel.
Posted Image

Well You could say I needed some new bearings. Here is a bunch of rear linkage bearings pieces. :headshake
Posted Image

Polished a couple parts.
Posted Image

Almost done
Posted Image

Assembled the front end.
Posted Image

Edited by Krimble, March 10, 2013 - 09:52 AM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Not servicing the suspension? Hard to believe considering how poorly the bike was maintained. I wonder if the oil has ever been changed. Please tell us you are not going to ignore that.

• Krimble

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Not servicing the suspension? Hard to believe considering how poorly the bike was maintained. I wonder if the oil has ever been changed. Please tell us you are not going to ignore that.

I am for the rear, but for the front, I plan on doing a upgrade this summer, so they work well and I'm not too concerned about that.

• Krimble

Posted March 28, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Got my cylinder and Head from the shop today. I think it's pretty good. He shaved off a thin layer off the head. Honed the cylinder and Cleaned everything. I don't know what he used, but the outside of the cylinder looks BRAND NEW...
I should get some update soon, since now all I need to do is try to remove the flywheel and change the timing chain. After that, it will be quite easy. Well I hope so anyways.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These WR heads are so beautiful... Gotta love these 5 valves.
Posted Image

• allterra

Posted March 28, 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'd like to know what they used to clean it up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krimble

Posted March 29, 2013 - 04:55 AM

I'd like to know what they used to clean it up?

I will try to get in touch with them. I'm assuming some sort of acid or Bead blasting, but if I can contact him soon, I will let you know. You mean the Cylinder right?

Edited by Krimble, March 29, 2013 - 04:55 AM.

• Krimble

Posted March 29, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Figured I would post pictures of the seat, and a pic of the tank, shrouds, and bars on.
Posted Image

Posted Image

• 05-WR450F

Posted April 01, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Where in NB are you? I'm in Saint John. I have an 05 WR.

• Krimble

Posted April 02, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Where in NB are you? I'm in Saint John. I have an 05 WR.

I'm in grande-Digue. Are you on NBDSC.ca?

• Krimble

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:39 AM

I disassembled my rear shock and cleaned it, now I'm thinking of painting my spring red with some Krylon Fusion. :huh:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I went to my Yamaha dealer to pull out my flywheel. They did it for free! :bannana: They just did some renovations and added a tire section. They have 4 rows of these. :D I know where to go for tire now.
Posted Image

Then I forgot to put a rag on my engine when installing the piston clip.
But after about an hour I found it and removed it with a screwdriver by magnetizing it.
Posted Image

Tightened the flywheel again and put on the timing chain. Also put on new rings and installed the cylinder.
Posted Image

Torqued down my head.
Posted Image

Installing cams and installed new stator and cover. Now All I need is to torque the cams and check the shim clearance.
Posted Image

Since they cut my valve seats I need to figure out my Shims... :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

Just found out which shims I needed, not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Here's a screenshot, hope you can see. :)
Posted Image

Edited by Krimble, April 07, 2013 - 08:41 AM.

• Krimble

Posted April 09, 2013 - 03:40 PM

Here's what I did tonight. test fitted all the plastic, now I can put on the graphics! Yaaaay! :D

Posted Image

And tada! It kind of looks weird with no wheels, looks stretched out, but it will look good. I hope. :)
Posted Image

• Kawabuggy

Posted April 10, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Love the work you have done so far. You are very detailed in your work, and your pics. More pics please! I'm looking for another 4 stroke bike to ride with my kids, and also for trails and have been wanting either a WR250 or WR426/450. Specifically because of the electric start, and the great reputation. Your post is pushing me in the "blue" direction even more.

• Krimble

Posted April 10, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Love the work you have done so far. You are very detailed in your work, and your pics. More pics please! I'm looking for another 4 stroke bike to ride with my kids, and also for trails and have been wanting either a WR250 or WR426/450. Specifically because of the electric start, and the great reputation. Your post is pushing me in the "blue" direction even more.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliments. I love taking pictures, so you don't have to worry about that. ^_^

I did a little work tonight, and let me tell you, if graphics weren't so nice, it would be the thing I hate the most, they are such a pain to install. I took me almost an hour for one rear number plate and the rear fender... :foul:
Posted Image

Posted Image

• Krimble

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Installed some more graphics.
Posted Image

• Krimble

Posted April 17, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Just bought a Acerbis LED vision headlight from a local forum member. Perfect timing, I was just going to buy one, which is 150$ new with shipping, but he posted a topic that he was selling one still in the box for 50$, so I went there pretty fast! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.