how can you tell which springs are in the fork or shock?

7 replies to this topic
  • goosey

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Pretty sure the front of this bike I bought is too stiff. Is the rating stamped or something?

• kx450f63

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:13 AM

If your really lucky someone will have it engraved on one of the flats. Some manufactures have a code inscribed on one of the flats, such as two wide lines, a space, and one thin line. I believe those marks only mean something to the specific manufacture. To know for sure you need a spring rate tool. You can check your sag numbers on the front just as you would on the back to determine if your rate is close.

The rear shock spring is generally marked on one of the coils for an aftermarket spring. The spring rate tool is your best option. Even a spring that is marked as one rate may actually be one to two rates different than marked.

• YHGEORGE

Posted January 30, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Are the springs stock from the factory? On most Japanese bikes this info is in your manual. My Honda manuals give an explanation of the markings on the springs to identify the rate.

• goosey

Posted January 30, 2013 - 10:21 AM

I just checked my manual, it doesn't have that explanation at the beginning or the end of the chapter/section. Does your manual cover the '06 250r?

• usdualsports

Posted January 30, 2013 - 10:52 AM

Most of the time you have to take them apart and find someone that can test them. I would call up pro action in Penn. they are easy to talk to and why not as a company that works on them everyday they might give you a hint on how to find out.

• YHGEORGE

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:18 AM

I just checked my manual, it doesn't have that explanation at the beginning or the end of the chapter/section. Does your manual cover the '06 250r?

Your Honda manual DOES have the stock, softer, and stiffer springs for your bike. For both fork and shock. Re-read, carefully.

Edited by YHGEORGE, January 31, 2013 - 10:19 AM.

• 450XJimDirt

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Ditch the Clymer Manual , and get a Honda Service Manual , they are between $35-$60 , and well worth the $$$

Here is the Optional Parts image from my 07 250F manual

Posted Image

Edited by 450XJimDirt, January 31, 2013 - 12:53 PM.

• Jeekinz

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:43 PM

Try this calculator, I've seen other ways using measurements but I sucked at math.

http://www.planetspr...?id=compression

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.