Y-Zed or Y-Zee

9 replies to this topic
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted November 05, 2001 - 09:51 AM

Just curious, how do you pronounce YZ in the states? In Canada and the U.K. I believe we all say Y-Zed. The pronouciation Y-Zed is used the same way in french Canada ( Québec )as well.

Just a useless tid-bit this rainy afternoon. :)

• sirhk

Posted November 05, 2001 - 11:29 AM

Y-Zee in Southern California, that's the only way I've ever heard it. I never thought about it being pronounced any other way but then again I'm kinda just stuck in my own world and forget there's others out there!!

• Husker_Mike

Posted November 05, 2001 - 11:45 AM

The correct way to pronounce the letter "Z" in the States is "zee." I've only heard "zed" in Canada.

I guess that's enough "a-boot" that.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted November 05, 2001 - 12:11 PM

I recently began to sell enterprise software (WebTrends) into eastern Canada and noticed things like "zed" and "aboot" (about). Interesting timing on this topic. :)

• Taffy

Posted November 06, 2001 - 12:25 AM

Y-Zed in the UK.

even when you YZ time the WR (WZ400) do you americans get an asthmatic wheeezzeee (chesty, cough, cough, sneeze!!) or do you, like us anglophiles get a wwhhhiiizzzz machine. (wiz)

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Psycho426

Posted November 06, 2001 - 12:31 AM

We also 'klap' Y-Zed here in Sunny South Africa :)

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: Psycho426 ]

• Pete_Z

Posted November 06, 2001 - 04:08 AM

Being Canadian I've almost always used the "zed" pronounciation for the letter z. To my ears it's sounds better in most cases eg. Y-Zed, F-Zed-R, Mach Zed,Zed-71,MX-Zed etc. The one that really comes to mind though are Chevrolet Camaro Zed-28's, affectionately know as Zedders here in the Great White North. Surely Americans don't call them Zee-ers? That being said, I've thought aboot it and strangely enough, if you asked me to pronounce my T-Talk user I.D., I would say Pete Zee, not Pete Zed. Just sounds better I guess.

• Le_Racer

Posted November 06, 2001 - 06:09 AM

Salut!
Here we hear it both way, personnaly I use the zee, like in why-zee two fifty eff (I know, I'm a &%$#@! to ride such a tiddler but I'm faster at MX with it...), why-zee-eff six hundred arr or of course why-zee four fifty four eff, (hell that's 4 cc over the new limit in the 250 class on the ice!).
Ciao!
Guy

• Taffy

Posted November 06, 2001 - 12:04 PM

how i remember that group from the eighties, you know the one....long beards wasn't it zed, zed top?

Taffy

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted November 06, 2001 - 12:38 PM

Hey Le racer, where have you been? I would guess that you have been riding and not sitting in front of your computer like the rest of us!

Guy, do you know any good late season tracks not too far from town with good drainage?

I went up to a track in Arundel 2 weeks ago but found it unridable because of rain puddles and wet clay on the face of jumps. This track is awsome and has been put together by the Miller kids ( Miller Excavation ) so heavy equipment use is not a problem there. Kind of track where you are in the air more than on the ground.

Salut!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.